Dust collector motor question

Paul Downes

I am looking into setting up a dust collector. This is going into a lean-to outside of my shop. I have been given an old Torit dust collector that I am going to retrofit. It has a 3 phase motor and I plan on replacing this with a single phase motor. My question is what type of motor should I buy. I plan on a TEFC type but am wondering if I should buy a compressor duty or some other type and what RPM should I get. I may build or buy a cyclone to add under the blower.

The existing dust collector has a 5 hp motor on it so I figure to keep the power level the same. I guess I could check the rpm on the existing motor....duuuuuhhhh. I want the TEFC type motor because the yellowjacket hornets like to build nests all over in the lean-to. I have read that the 5 hp systems with 6 inch pipe have real good efficiency. I did some welding for a guy and got lots of 6 inch pipe and the torit on trade. I am working him for a emmert vice I saw gathering dust in his shop.:D

You may want to look for a farm duty motor - they are at least somewhat sealed, and are rated for heavy use, but less than continuous industrial duty.

When I was running a 2 hp dust collector, I expanded to 6 inch pipes, but when I upgraded to a 5 hp cyclone, with a far larger impeller, I can now run 8 inch (which is comparable to two 6 inch). There is a lot more to designing a dust collector system than just putting a motor on a fan - be sure you maintain the design of the original system if you aren't sure.

Rather than scrapping a 3 phase motor, are you aware that you can get about 70% of the motor power with a very simple phase converter that basically powers just one phase, and uses the other phases as the starter windings.