Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Workbench Design Question

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia

Workbench Design Question

As I read about workbench design, there's one thing I don't understand. Many (most) of the current designs call for a long narrow table, sometimes only 2' wide. How in the world do those folks handle a sheet of plywood on such a narrow table?
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

A workbench needs to be whatever YOU need, not what someone else thinks you need. I don't have a "classic" workbench but I seem to muddle through and get things done. In my case, I wanted the ability to lay a full sheet beside my table saw and slide it over to make my cuts, so that's how I designed my workbench.

To answer your specific question about sheet goods, some people place a sheet on sawhorses to cut it down to smaller sizes. Some lay it on styrofoam on the floor - whatever it takes to break down the sheet goods.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Cynthia,
    the 2' depth is more about most people's reach... anything deeper and you wind up with clutter just 'out of reach'... DAMHIKT, my benches are 30" or so deep, but I have longer arms and I still get clutter toward the back of them. er, actually I get clutter on all of it... might have something to do with how I work, not the depth of the bench.
    -Ned

Your classic hand tool bench is narrow. I am working with solid wood and really only need about 12 inches at most of depth. If your intent is to work with plywood, then you would need a large work table to support your work. Remember, the benches purpose is to support the work. If the work is large then you need a larger table. Kind of common sense when you think about it in those terms.
    “When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.” - John Ruskin
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde

Good point Bill. about three shops ago, I had the luxury of a shop large enough to have a central outfeed/work table in the middle of the shop, it was about 4' x 6' and was right next to the heart of the shop (the TS)... we did all manner of assembly, finishing etc... on it, but we also had nearly 30'x30' of space to work with. my last shop... and my current 'shop'... I broke down sheet goods outside like most people do.
    -Ned

The 'classic' workbench, as bill mentioned, is primarily designed for hand tool use and the basic layout has not changed in hundreds of years. Check out last months Fine WoodWorking magazine for one alternative - one I am seriously considering for my own shop.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

A workbench is not the same as a work table or assembly bench.
    Your use of 4x8 sheets of plywood sounds like it would be better suited to an assembly bench.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    The 'classic' workbench, as bill mentioned, is primarily designed for hand tool use and the basic layout has not changed in hundreds of years. Check out last months Fine WoodWorking magazine for one alternative - one I am seriously considering for my own shop.
    In the Dec 2011 issue, I don't see anything about workbenches...is it a different one?

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Your use of 4x8 sheets of plywood sounds like it would be better suited to an assembly bench.
    Well, I see your point, but I don't have room for 2 benches, so one will have to serve all purposes. Right now it's 4' X 8', that's too big. I think 3' X 7' will do everything.......
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Cynthia White View Post
    In the Dec 2011 issue, I don't see anything about workbenches...is it a different one?
    "Winter 2011-2012" annual tools and shops issue. Sorry.
    Some goo general info HERE

The power tool workbench is HERE

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    I disagree. What woodworkers consider a proper bench is very different than that of a metal worker, potter, etc. I think we, as woodworkers, get a bit myopic when talking about benches. The definition needs to open up a bit to include 'benches' that are not traditional hand tool benches such as larger 'tables', etc. Our HS shop classes had work benches that were about 6' square, had four vices, and could accommodate 4 students. Would that not qualify as a workbench?

www.wrworkshop.com