Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bench Grinder Advice

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia

Bench Grinder Advice

Okay, just one more question before I go in the shop!

LOML wants to buy a bench grinder. He wants to buy a really good one, because he will be using it constantly in his "hot rod" shop. I, of course, will use it but not very often for my own tools. He wants to spend in the $300-750 range. He wants it quiet, low vibration, solid, good tool rests, etc. He has heard of Baldor and Dayton.

Can anyone give us some advice or recommendations?
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

Just one word: BALDOR.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

and as an addition to what jim said was a 8" for the use you mention. and i to agree on baldor!!
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Baldor

Not to go against the grain here, but I have two "bench grinders". One is an old Craftsman that lives in my mower shack and is used for sharpening lawn care stuff. The other is a variable-speed Delta with a coarse wheel on one side and a fine wheel (white) on the other. It's used strictly for woodworking tools. Almost forgot the slow-speed sharpening system (Grizzly) with its small high-speed wheel and large wheel that goes through a water bath.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

To answer the question: Baldor
    But, I have garage sale grinders, an old Crafstman and a newer Woodcraft with sharpening only wheels on it. I prefer the versatility of several and low prices of the garage sale/flea market stuff. $5.00 is a long ways from $750.00 and, if needed, replacement wheels are not expensive.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Baldor will last forever. You will be able to include it in your will. There is not a smoother running more reliable machine. Don't be shocked at the price.

I just put a Oneway grinder wheel balancing system on mine and that is the only improvement I can suggest other than going the whole way and buying a Baldor grinder and equipping it with BN wheels. If you do that I want to be in your will.
    I may be getting a little older physically but mentally I'm still tarp as a shack.

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    Thanks gentlemen. I'll pass it on to HWMBO.
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

I had Baldor equipment in my office. Used in optical stuff and frame polishing. It was in the office I went into right after getting my doc degree and Calif. License. I don't know how long it had been used in that office. I know the office was opened in 1914. Anyway I let it go when I retired the third time and sold the office and all of its contents.

Baldor is Smooth and Quiet. It is well worth the time if you balance the grinding wheels on any machine when you install the grinding wheels.

Do get a grinder that can handle wheels one-inch or more thick for your tool sharpening.

Do not purchase smaller than will accept eight-inch diameter grinding-wheels.

You will want wheels that keep your tools cool; wheels that are quite friable. I suggest Norton SG Wheels if you are willing to pay the price. Less expensive and still good are: Norton 32A and 3X grinding wheels. In machine shop use, these wheels wear very quickly and unevenly. However, when used for woodworking tools the stones last a long time and you do not have to "true" them very often. The Norton wheels are available at Craft Supplies USA and many other places.

Strongly suggest "His" and "Hers" grinders. The two different uses are really incompatible.

You will have to watch out for a mechanic using the grinder for his purposes because the wheel surface will probably be made uneven. Uneven wheels will raise heck with your woodworking blades.

Enjoy,

JimB
    Last edited by Jim C Bradley; 11-19-2011 at 03:38 AM. Reason: typo
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

By the way, for what it is worth, Doug Thompson uses Dayton grinders in his shop to do the initial grinding on his tools. He swears by them and they are much cheaper, around $300 or so.

I suppose if they are good enough for a professional they should be good enough for us. I don't have any experience with them.
    I may be getting a little older physically but mentally I'm still tarp as a shack.