Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clock & Box

Clock & Box

About 3 years ago I started to make some shaker clocks for a craft show. Well, other things got in the way and the project was shelved. Recently, my daughter-in-law asked if I could supply her with a few things to place on a table on which she was going to display some of her home made jewelry at an upcoming show. She remembered the clocks and asked if I could have them done in time. Sure!

So, after three years of being stored in the attic as a 90% complete project, this is what the finished project looks like. I made 10 of them!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0003 (543 x 800).jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	62759Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0011 (494 x 800).jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	62760Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0013 (498 x 800).jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	62761

She also asked for a few jewelry boxes. I told her I would start on 4. Well, a mis-cut on a leg narrowed the field to 3. Then a problem in a glue up whittled the field to 2 (that one looked so graceful as it sailed across the shop and hit the back wall ) and a final error meant only one of the four starts actually crossed the finish line. Sometimes things just don't go as planned. Anyway, here's the one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0017 (800 x 501).jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	62756Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0018 (800 x 697).jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	104.3 KB 
ID:	62757Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0022 (800 x 746).jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	121.8 KB 
ID:	62758

Thanks to Vaughn for some tips on buying a photo cube. This is my first use of it and I'm having some fun! Unfortunately, I still need to work on the lighting a bit. I did not realize till I was nearly done that on of my lamps had a regular incandescent bulb, and I also realized I needed a third lamp which I had to improvise.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    Beautiful...
    And I'm not going to ask how that box came to sailing across the shop, if your patience is anything close to mine, 'nuff said'

nice projects rennie. stop throwing stuff, you might break something, like a machine.
    Human Test Dummy

Nice Rennie. I like the clocks. I've always wanted to build a mantel clock. This may have inspired me to look into doing just that.
    It's not what you achieve in life...It's what you overcome!

i wood never quessed you got like that your always so somber looking ,, like one of the funeral directors always got a grin and never say a cross word,, glad to see you are human like the rest of us nice job on finishing up those clocks rennie,, whats the secondary wood in the j box the light stuff?
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    i wood never quessed you got like that your always so somber looking ,, like one of the funeral directors always got a grin and never say a cross word,, glad to see you are human like the rest of us nice job on finishing up those clocks rennie,, whats the secondary wood in the j box the light stuff?
    My mom always used to say that still waters run deep.

The lighter wood is birch from a friends yard. He gave me a few pieces when the tree was felled about 8 years ago. It was waiting for the right project.

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Rennie, nice clocks and a box. Really excellent design and execution, as usual by you.

I think of you as so calm and composed that I figured you had some kind of a kickback, not a hand launch...
    If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Quote Originally Posted by ken werner View Post
    Rennie, nice clocks and a box. Really excellent design and execution, as usual by you.

I think of you as so calm and composed that I figured you had some kind of a kickback, not a hand launch...
    Can't take credit for the design - clock came out of a magazine, box out of a book.

Normally I am unflappable. Once in a great while though....boom!...and then it's over. Never lasts more than a minute and usually ends in turning out the lights and having a glass of 12 year old scotch.

www.wrworkshop.com

Those are great Rennie. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has put a messed up project into orbit once or twice.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Great clocks Rennie and the jewelry box is nice also where did you get the clock faces and works?