Clock & Box

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
About 3 years ago I started to make some shaker clocks for a craft show. Well, other things got in the way and the project was shelved. Recently, my daughter-in-law asked if I could supply her with a few things to place on a table on which she was going to display some of her home made jewelry at an upcoming show. She remembered the clocks and asked if I could have them done in time. Sure!

So, after three years of being stored in the attic as a 90% complete project, this is what the finished project looks like. I made 10 of them!
DSC_0003 (543 x 800).jpgDSC_0011 (494 x 800).jpgDSC_0013 (498 x 800).jpg

She also asked for a few jewelry boxes. I told her I would start on 4. Well, a mis-cut on a leg narrowed the field to 3. Then a problem in a glue up whittled the field to 2 (that one looked so graceful as it sailed across the shop and hit the back wall :eek::rofl:) and a final error meant only one of the four starts actually crossed the finish line. Sometimes things just don't go as planned.:rofl: Anyway, here's the one.

DSC_0017 (800 x 501).jpgDSC_0018 (800 x 697).jpgDSC_0022 (800 x 746).jpg

Thanks to Vaughn for some tips on buying a photo cube. This is my first use of it and I'm having some fun! Unfortunately, I still need to work on the lighting a bit. I did not realize till I was nearly done that on of my lamps had a regular incandescent bulb, and I also realized I needed a third lamp which I had to improvise.

i wood never quessed you got like that your always so somber looking ,, like one of the funeral directors always got a grin and never say a cross word,, glad to see you are human like the rest of us:) nice job on finishing up those clocks rennie,, whats the secondary wood in the j box the light stuff?

i wood never quessed you got like that your always so somber looking ,, like one of the funeral directors always got a grin and never say a cross word,, glad to see you are human like the rest of us:) nice job on finishing up those clocks rennie,, whats the secondary wood in the j box the light stuff?

My mom always used to say that still waters run deep.:cool::saythat:

The lighter wood is birch from a friends yard. He gave me a few pieces when the tree was felled about 8 years ago. It was waiting for the right project.

Rennie, nice clocks and a box. Really excellent design and execution, as usual by you.

I think of you as so calm and composed that I figured you had some kind of a kickback, not a hand launch...

Rennie, nice clocks and a box. Really excellent design and execution, as usual by you.

I think of you as so calm and composed that I figured you had some kind of a kickback, not a hand launch...

Can't take credit for the design - clock came out of a magazine, box out of a book.

Normally I am unflappable. Once in a great while though....boom!...and then it's over. Never lasts more than a minute and usually ends in turning out the lights and having a glass of 12 year old scotch.:thud:

Very nice work, Rennie. :clap:

Glad to see the photo tent is working out for you. What kind of bulbs did you end up using in the lights? I think with most cameras you can adjust the white balance to handle incandescent lights. The main thing is that all the lighting should be the same type. Fluorescent, incandescent, halogen, etc. all work, as long as you don't mix or match the lighting types. Another tip is to use a white or gray background. Colored backgrounds (especially blue ones) tend to throw off the color correction in the camera, which often ends up changing the color tones of the object being photographed. That said, it looks like your camera handled it quite nicely. I don't see much of a blue cast on the lighter colored wood in the photos. :thumb:

Great clocks Rennie and the jewelry box is nice also:thumb: where did you get the clock faces and works?
IIRC I got the supplies from Klockit

Very nice work, Rennie. :clap:

Glad to see the photo tent is working out for you. What kind of bulbs did you end up using in the lights? I think with most cameras you can adjust the white balance to handle incandescent lights. The main thing is that all the lighting should be the same type. Fluorescent, incandescent, halogen, etc. all work, as long as you don't mix or match the lighting types. Another tip is to use a white or gray background. Colored backgrounds (especially blue ones) tend to throw off the color correction in the camera, which often ends up changing the color tones of the object being photographed. That said, it looks like your camera handled it quite nicely. I don't see much of a blue cast on the lighter colored wood in the photos. :thumb:
I used 1 100W equivalent daylight color CFL on each side, but the top lighting was my dining room ceiling fixture with 4 60W incandescent bulbs.

Odly enough, I have a lens cap for setting white balance (thanks to Ned) but never thought to use it. :doh:

Very nice work Rennie. What is the joinery for the box sides to the legs/stiles? I am intrigued by that style of lid and have wanted to try one. I haven't seen the one in the book but, your version looks really great.

Very nice work Rennie. What is the joinery for the box sides to the legs/stiles? I am intrigued by that style of lid and have wanted to try one. I haven't seen the one in the book but, your version looks really great.
Actually, I used #10 biscuits. You are suppose to offset them so you don't have a conflict in the joint. I forgot, so I had to carve them a bit to get everything to fit.

Box Making Basics by David Freedman.