Lowes Special - Diamond File - Question?

Dan Mosley

Today I went to Lowes to pick up some MS and a few other supplies and saw this diamond sharpener on sale - There was this one and another one a bit bigger with a rough side and a fine side to it for $18.00 - My question is that I use carbide square tipped cutters in my Ci1 tool and thought about getting one for a resharpening them when they get dull - However, I decided against it after thinking about how you would sharpen the bevel part of the cutter and thought it would be just as easy to buy another box of cutters - They are not that expensive when you get them from an internet supplier.............thoughts ??

Attachments

• Photo0169.jpg
    Photo0169.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
I suspect that diamond sharpener might help the bulk-packaged carbide inserts when they get dull, but I don't think it'll ever get the cutter as sharp as the Easy Woods cutters are. Craig's cutters are honed and polished differently (more finely) than the others on the market.

Still, that looks like a pretty good price for a diamond hone. I prefer the ones with a solid surface (instead of the holes), but they're typically more expensive.

Dan,
I don't own any carbide chisels and am certainly no expert concerning them, but...from what I've read, you sharpen them on the flat side, not the bevel. There are some threads on other forums that speak to this.
Just my 2 cents.

Joe

I wouldn't bother with the disposable cutters on lathe tools, but I do use similar hones on my router bits, and just got some for kitchen knives.

If they are DMT brand, note that their grades are Coarse, Fine, Extra Fine, Extra Extra Fine. In other words, no medium... the Fine is really the medium grade.