More Fun with the Worksharp 3000 - Spokeshave Jig

glenn bradley

There was a lot of spokeshave work on a recent project and a touchup was in order. I took a piece of 3/8" thick x 2-7/8" wide ash, squared it up and cut a slot using my tenoning jig. I drilled two 5/32" holes, countersunk them and tapped a pair of 10-24 machine screws into them. Be very precise about the screw locations as they act as the stop for the cutter to assure a square edge. A snug with a screwdriver grips the cutter.

WS3K-Spokeshave-jig 1.jpg WS3K-Spokeshave-jig 2.jpg WS3K-Spokeshave-jig 3.jpg

I set the micro bevel on a diamond plate I had handy and run it on the Worksharp at 3600 grit and on the honing plate, each for a few seconds. The results looked good and a few test passes tell me this will meet my needs. Quick, easy and repeatable; that's what I need when it comes to sharpening.

WS3K-Spokeshave-jig 4.jpg WS3K-Spokeshave-jig 5.jpg WS3K-Spokeshave-jig 6.jpg WS3K-Spokeshave-jig 7.jpg

A tiltbox to set the angle? Brilliant! Of course the whole thing is a very nice way to sharpen a hard to hold blade, but the tilt box is a great idea. :thumb:

are those screws threaded into the ash glenn? or just holes.. looks like its threaded to make a squezz on the blade..

Through holes on the countersunk end, threaded into the other. As you describe, this is what grabs the iron. I was shocked that it worked so well. The screws are long enough to allow the addition of nuts should the threaded ash eventually fail. I have some jigs with machine screws threaded into hardwood that I have been prepared for a failure of for a few years though :thumb:.

Last edited:
Nice setup and use of the tilt box. MDF threads nicely as well. A good part of my cnc is held together using machine screws threaded into the mdf, nothing more. Roger's suggestion of super glue works well also.