My hero

Rob Keeble

Unfortunately real work got in the way of my lunch with fellow woodworkers downtown Toronto yesterday, apolies Ed Thomas and Mack business had to come first, but i was determined nothing would stop me from going to my sons football game.

Well last night he proved to me what he was made of. Even though he was not feeling well since Thursday with a bad cold coming he had attended all the last minute practices and he went out and put on one of his best performaces ever. He said it "kicked in" to his head that this may be the last game of the season if they did not win and he was not having that.

The team won the York Regional Schools Football Championships for the second year running.:congrats:

For him its his fouth school championship twice as junior and now twice as senior team member.:clap::clap:
I am a very proud dad today:woot:.

I aint a big football fan or sports fan for that matter, (hey i am woodworker :D) but the best thing that happened was on the way home in the car when he showed me his character.

He said " Really felt sorry for the other guys, you should have heard how their coaches were screaming at them near the end. Our coaches never do that. And they did not deserve that."

The fact that he could have empathy for the opposition at a time when most would have their ego so overtaking their brain and that he recognised the manner in which you correctly motivate a person, well said to me he learnt a great deal playing the game that has little to do specifically with football.

I can rest easy now.;)

Now they on the march to the Metro Bowl. One game this Thursday against a private school and the winner of that plays in the Rogers Dome the following week.

They got to the final last year but were so overwhelmed by that achievement along with being in the big stadium, it was too much for them and they did not perform.

I suspect this year may be different but we will have to see if they have the mental strength to make it happen. If last nights game is anything to go by then i am pretty hopeful they will prevail.

Also for the first time in all the football games i have been to, i finally got to see what he contributes to the team effort. Realize this games so fast that i battle to see where the ball is or rather is not when i get suckered so its taken some time for me to understand how its works.
But i had a few tears come down my cheeks when his school mates in the stands started chanting his name. Quiet an achievement i thought when your peers recognise you in that manner at a school where football is as close as high school football in Canada, will ever get to college football in the USA.

Back in the day it was difficult to get anyone to attend our school sports events on a school day during the afternoon never mind pay to attend on a Staterday night. Nearly the whole school came out. Parents, grandparents, counsins and boys and girls brothers and sisters. One of the players moms made 72 Veal Sandwiches for the team for after the game. Only a community would do this. Kinda made up a lot of ground for the video game gen in my outlook. Guess they could teach me and my peers from back in the day a few things.

End of game sportsmanship was also pleasing to see as they shook hands with the opposition and patted them on the backs consoling them in their loss.

Futures looking a lot rosier knowing this bunch is the way they are. :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::)

Had this been a function back in my day well it would have been spoilt buy a chain fight, or two, in the parking lot . Could never work out why ?:eek::(

Unfortunately real work got in the way of my lunch with fellow woodworkers downtown Toronto yesterday, apolies Ed Thomas and Mack business had to come first, but i was determined nothing would stop me from going to my sons football game.

Well last night he proved to me what he was made of. Even though he was not feeling well since Thursday with a bad cold coming he had attended all the last minute practices and he went out and put on one of his best performaces ever. He said it "kicked in" to his head that this may be the last game of the season if they did not win and he was not having that.

The team won the York Regional Schools Football Championships for the second year running.:congrats:

For him its his fouth school championship twice as junior and now twice as senior team member.:clap::clap:
I am a very proud dad today:woot:.

I aint a big football fan or sports fan for that matter, (hey i am woodworker :D) but the best thing that happened was on the way home in the car when he showed me his character.

He said " Really felt sorry for the other guys, you should have heard how their coaches were screaming at them near the end. Our coaches never do that. And they did not deserve that."

The fact that he could have empathy for the opposition at a time when most would have their ego so overtaking their brain and that he recognised the manner in which you correctly motivate a person, well said to me he learnt a great deal playing the game that has little to do specifically with football.

I can rest easy now.;)

Now they on the march to the Metro Bowl. One game this Thursday against a private school and the winner of that plays in the Rogers Dome the following week.

They got to the final last year but were so overwhelmed by that achievement along with being in the big stadium, it was too much for them and they did not perform.

I suspect this year may be different but we will have to see if they have the mental strength to make it happen. If last nights game is anything to go by then i am pretty hopeful they will prevail.

Also for the first time in all the football games i have been to, i finally got to see what he contributes to the team effort. Realize this games so fast that i battle to see where the ball is or rather is not when i get suckered so its taken some time for me to understand how its works.
But i had a few tears come down my cheeks when his school mates in the stands started chanting his name. Quiet an achievement i thought when your peers recognise you in that manner at a school where football is as close as high school football in Canada, will ever get to college football in the USA.

Back in the day it was difficult to get anyone to attend our school sports events on a school day during the afternoon never mind pay to attend on a Staterday night. Nearly the whole school came out. Parents, grandparents, counsins and boys and girls brothers and sisters. One of the players moms made 72 Veal Sandwiches for the team for after the game. Only a community would do this. Kinda made up a lot of ground for the video game gen in my outlook. Guess they could teach me and my peers from back in the day a few things.

End of game sportsmanship was also pleasing to see as they shook hands with the opposition and patted them on the backs consoling them in their loss.

Futures looking a lot rosier knowing this bunch is the way they are. :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::)

Had this been a function back in my day well it would have been spoilt buy a chain fight, or two, in the parking lot . Could never work out why ?:eek::(
Congrats to your son, Rob. I had an extra Guiness with my F & C just for you!

Congratulations to him and to you as well. It's quite an amazing thing to watch your children grow and become sensible young adults. You begin to wonder as they seem to be on track when they are younger, then the aliens come and take them away for a while. Always nice when they return them to you. ;) :)

Congratulations to your son......and to you for the great job you did raising him. Like others have said the apple does not fall far from the tree:thumb: