Comments on combo jointer/planers

Jerry Frost

I was intrigued by the FWW story on combos. It seems they would answer a lot of my problems: wider jointer, longer beds, floor space savings. I would any personal experiences about the concept and paricular brands.

Frosty

welcome to family woodworking jerry! i don`t use combos but am very happy with the minimax tools i own....if you want to speak to a down to earth sales guy call dain kirkpatrick, he`s a member here and a straight shooter....tod

Jerry,

I to would suggest a discussion with Dain from MiniMax. He is a great guy and is very knowledgeable when it comes to the subject. Good luck and welcome.

I have lots of opinions on combo's as I own a 16" j/p. As far as I am concerned there is only one country to buy a combo from, Italy. I happened to choose Minimax/SCM and have been more than happy. What are you looking for? Are you familiar with the costs/benefits/drawbacks with these machines?

Paul

Thanks for the response. I currently prepare raw materials with a 6" Jet jointer (I like it and particularly the HD fence) but, obviously I don't like slicing up good boards to flatten them. They then go to a DeWalt 735 planer. It's a good combo but I would like to do better.

The FWW review of combos opened my eyes. A 12" jointer! Wow. And a longer bed plus I gain some real estate which is in short supply. I have a Laguna 14" bandsaw but don't know much about MiniMax. Incidently, MM reduced the price $800 after the FWW story.

Jerry

Jerry,
I've been using a Hammer A31 (the 12" model) for well over a year. It's been a fine machine for me. I got, and recommend, extension tables for the jointer and the planer outfeed, as well as a digital readout for setting planer thickness. I thought the Hammer was a better value than the machine made in the country that makes Fiats. With the price reduction on the MM the choice might be a tossup now.

If you are considering a slot mortiser, that attachment works great too. (However, if you tend to do smaller-scale work, a Festool Domino is a bit cheaper than the slot mortiser.)

The 12" width has been adequite since wider boards are getting to be rare. But, as always, if money is a minor issue, wider is always better. Stepping up from 6" to 12" jointing capibility is a huge advantage.