Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeking feedback and suggestions in order to deal with a BIG GOOF that I just made

Seeking feedback and suggestions in order to deal with a BIG GOOF that I just made

One of my many current projects is making a lamp (as described in the thead http://familywoodworking.org/forums/...e-Build-thread)

About an hour ago, I finished routing and chiseling the rabbets into which the glass pieces for the shade are to be inserted.

I did a good job on the rabbets, BUT I placed then on the outside rather the inside of the frames.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Prairie Lamp nn -I cut the rabbets for the glass on the wrong side of all four lampsieeices -sma.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	124.0 KB 
ID:	62811

The screwed up oak frames are towards the top of the photo. The properly built pine experimental frame is at the bottom. The glass is supposed to be held in place inside the wooden frame pieces with small strips of 1/4 round.

What to do?

1) I could make new frames, but that would take at least 6 hours.

2) I could make some molding such as the sample shown in these two pictures.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Prairie Lamp nn -Cross section view of sample corrective trim piece -small.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	62810 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Prairie Lamp nn -Sample corrective trim piece in view -small.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	62812

That would take an hour or two but might make the lamp look "funny".

3) I could follow some other suggestion made by you.

Please respond ASAP becuase I want to get back to this project tommorow.
    Last edited by Frank Pellow; 11-20-2011 at 09:43 PM.
    Cheers, Frank

That a bummer Frank but as nice as a job you are doing on it and with that nice glass and that it is on the outside, I would be inclined to make new, Sorry...

Make em' again. Its only six hours.
    "Do, or do not. There is no try."
    -Yoda

Frank,
    if you 'kluge' them, you'll never be happy with them - no matter how good they'll look to others. Bite the bullet, and make them again.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Before I made new frames, I would be tempted to see how a molding such as the one you show in the second picture would look if you rip it in half or a little less than half... enough to lock the glass in place and still cover a quarter of the frame. That would give the frame kind of a stair step look and provide a little visual interest. Be worth a try just to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    Before I made new frames, I would be tempted to see how a molding such as the one you show in the second picture would look if you rip it in half or a little less than half... enough to lock the glass in place and still cover a quarter of the frame. That would give the frame kind of a stair step look and provide a little visual interest. Be worth a try just to see.
    I agree. Give it a shot.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Is there a reason you can't just turn the outside to the inside? Are they miter cut? (can't tell from the photo, sorry) If so, is there enough meat to miter cut them again the right direction so you could turn them around? Could you cut a piece that would fit at the edges that would in effect make the miter cut disappear. or even cut the miter off and use a cut piece as the new corner?...could be the same wood or a contrasting wood, or the same wood stained a different color. If not, I'd call them my templates, throw the pine one away, and start over. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

I aint got any idea but i like Jims the best. Could add a great character if you could get a contrasting strip down the middle of the joints.
    cheers

If it was me and I was going to run with them I would make the molding for the outside out of a very contrasting wood like say walnut. At the same time I would start the new set. This set is not what you planed on building but it can be saved and a new set done the way you planed done up. Of course you realize that buy finishing this set up this way it means you have to build a new lamp for them.
    You could mix in some of that walnut into the lamp to match the shade.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

make new ones. if you screw up trying to fix these, it would only be worse, and you'll have to make new ones any way.
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking