Questions on a Craigslist Bandsaw

Mike Barger

Hi guys,

I picked up a Tradesmith 8155A 14" floor band saw today on a CL find. Motor runs well, on/off switch is a little flakey which is no big deal, and it seems like it could use some bearing adjustments, etc. I got it for $75, so I'm not too deep into it.

Anybody got any info on these things? User manuals, knowledge of anything about them, experience, compatible parts, etc? I'd like to make it work as long as possible.

Thanks,

Mike

I haven't seen or heard of the Tradesmith brand. Can you post a few photos? I'm guessing that it's an Asian clone of nearly all the other Asian 14" band saws out there. If it is, you should probably be able to find a variety of replacement parts for it from different suppliers like Grizzly and Carter. Chances are it can be tuned up and made into a very workable machine. :thumb:

Post a picture, Mike, so we know what we're talking about.

I suspect your "Tradesmith" is one of the many TaiChi clones of the 14" Delta that were (are being) sold under many different brand names, but we need to see a picture to be sure.

I'll have to go snap a few photos. It's stamped very clearly on the base 'made in Taiwan' and does look a lot like the present Porter-Cable offering in the 14" variety.

I may not get to the picture tonight, my wife's about to drop a baby out, so things are a little surreal over here.

Yeah, it sounds like you've got other priorities for now. :D Congrats, Dad. :thumb:

It sounds like it came out of the same molds as most of the other 14" bandsaws on the planet. You probably won't be able to find a manual for that specific saw, but there are several good bandsaw books out there that can guide you through setting and tuning up your new saw. (And they're generally more complete and informative than the user's manuals are anyway.) I'll let some of the other guys offer specific book suggestions.

Congratulations new Dad. On the bandsaw there is a guy called Iturra he is a bandsaw fundi and makes and sells many parts for these units. I am pretty sure he will be able to help you with items you neded to make that baby hum. What a good score. What size motor has it got and what are the top and bottom wheels made of? By that i mean are they cast or steel?

Mike,
It's unlikely you'll be able to find an owner's manual for your specific saw, but you might be able to find a Delta or Jet, or Grizzley manual for their 14" saws that will be a good working reference, since the Tai Chi saws are essentially clones of these saws.

For a very goo reference book on tuning and using your saw, I'd recommend Mark Duginski's bandsaw book, which Highland Woodworking just happens to have on sale right now.

Best wishes to you, wife, and new baby. Guess you're gonna be quite busy now!:D -and probably for about the next eightee years or so!:rofl::rofl:

Babies hum? :rolleyes: New parents sure wish they did. ;)
Lotsa good advice so far. Congrats on bs and baby. All the best to baby and wife. Bandsaw can wait.

My first son hummed in his sleep as a baby. Actually he still does 5 years later.

Wife and new one are doing quite well. I'm home with the older ones now, everyone will be home tomorrow just in time for the holiday.

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm really starting to like this place.

Okay, Mike, what you have is a TaiChi 'clone' saw with a multi-speed pulley setup intended for cutting metal as well as wood. You'd use the slower speeds for metal, and the very fastest one for wood.

If you're gonna be only cutting wood with it, I'd get rid of all those extra pulleys and drive the saw directly from the motor pulley to the saw's bottom wheel.

I'd use a 3" pulley on the motor, and a 6" pulley on the saw, to yield aboyt 862 rpm (with a 1725 rpm motor). This gives a blade speed of about 3156 feet per minute, which is considered just about optimum for a 14" saw.

Okay, Mike, what you have is a TaiChi 'clone' saw with a multi-speed pulley setup intended for cutting metal as well as wood. You'd use the slower speeds for metal, and the very fastest one for wood.

If you're gonna be only cutting wood with it, I'd get rid of all those extra pulleys and drive the saw directly from the motor pulley to the saw's bottom wheel.

I'd use a 3" pulley on the motor, and a 6" pulley on the saw, to yield aboyt 862 rpm (with a 1725 rpm motor). This gives a blade speed of about 3156 feet per minute, which is considered just about optimum for a 14" saw.

Cool, good to know.

I'll probably keep the extra pulleys and get a blade for metal cutting. That big blue thing next to the saw is a two-post lift, and I end up doing a good amount of automotive work in there as well.