Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another box - how much would you sell it for?

Another box - how much would you sell it for?

Another project I started some years back and set aside just before glue-up. More walnut and birch - six in all. Machine cut dovetails, solid wood top and bottom milled to 1/8" thick (bottom) and 3/16" thick for top. These are going to the craft fair with my DIL.

I have proven to myself several times that I am too critical of my own work and therefore have a tendency to grossly under-price my work So, here's a question for those of you who have sold at craft fairs before, what would you sell these for?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0002.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	62855Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0003.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	62856Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0004.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	62857Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0005.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	62858Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0006.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	62859Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0007.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	62860
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

I can't help with pricing because we haven't done a craft fair for years, but those are very nice boxes. Fine joinery, fine wood and a nice finish. How many hours do you have in each one and how much did the wood cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    I can't help with pricing because we haven't done a craft fair for years, but those are very nice boxes. Fine joinery, fine wood and a nice finish. How many hours do you have in each one and how much did the wood cost?
    There's not much wood in these, less than a bf. I paid nothing for the birch, came out of my yard. The walnut was about $4 a bf. Hours? Can't remember, but I'd guess about 10-15 for all 6 boxes. Yes, I'm that slow.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

12 hours @$30=$360 divide by 6=$60 per box....and I'd pay it.

I am no help either. However, those are very nice boxes. Excellent: workmanship, finish, choice of wood and design.

If I wanted a box like that, sixty-dollars would not stop me. I don't think that figure would stop a lot of people in So. Calif. who attend art fairs.

What is the economy in Idaho? Go to an art fair and see what is for sale and what price is on it. Mentally compare to your work for the things I listed at the top. Your quality, artistic eye, etc. should put you in the top price bracket for your area.

I don't know Idaho. Do you have a lot of art lovers? Are people purchasing "cutesy" stuff, quality stuff, expensive stuff, cheap stuff, etc.? I had friends in Eastern Idaho. They are deceased. However, when alive, they appreciated artistic things and they were not hurting for money.

You got no direct answer, however you did get a brain stimulation I hope.

Enjoy,

JimB

In the past I was very much into art. I have been president of art associations, I have purchased Best In Show art almost every year. I am 87 years old and Myrna and I have been giving that art away for quite a few years. The preceding is for background, to let you know I have been aware of the art market. What I have seen is that there are areas where art sells and there are areas where it isn't even recognized. I don't know your area.

The boss just called dinner. You are lucky; I will shut up now.
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

I would think in the 40 - 50 dollar range.

I was at a show for one of the local craft guilds this past weekend that was Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I was talking to one fellows who had some outstanding natural edge tables made from spalted maple and cherry. They were what I thought fairly priced for a little over 400 each. He told me he hadn't sold anything. I was talking to another guy that was a turner. He had some wooden chip bag clips. They looked like the old timey cloths pens, only a little longer. He told me over two days he had sold 160 of the clips at 5 bucks a pop.

thats the thing John, you nailed it on the head.

People dont mind taking out a 5 for something thats cute and handmade.

People do mind taking out 50 dollars.

I was at a tiny craft show once in Lake George NY, the type of craft show they run during August up there in the park in the center of town.
    There was an old guy with an old school bus, and he sold small wooden toys, rubber band guns, crayon holders, and he was the only guy selling stuff like crazy. 3, 4 dollars a pop.
    (I asked him to sell me 500 rubber band guns, and we met up with him a week later near his home and he managed to make me almost 300 by then)
    Human Test Dummy

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    12 hours @$30=$360 divide by 6=$60 per box....and I'd pay it.
    I had $55 to $65 each in my mind and feel that would be a fair price. Don't forget that even some wood was free from your yard it still has a price, what would that wood cost if you purchased it? needs to be accounted for

If they're big enough, I'd display one of them with a bottle of wine in it. Just a random thought --- I was thinking that presentation and salemanship count, and reasons why someone might want a fancy gift box.
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    I'm clueless as usual , but those are some real nice looking boxes