spray foam..

larry merlau

has anyone on here used the kits that are available? and what kind of coverage do you get? does it spray pretty uniform if you have sprayed some to know how to spray? it would be great stuff to spray the rim joist area of a basement.. right??

has anyone on here used the kits that are available? and what kind of coverage do you get? does it spray pretty uniform if you have sprayed some to know how to spray? it would be great stuff to spray the rim joist area of a basement.. right??
larry i sprayed a bunch of the old foam and seen a lot of the new stuff. 100 years ago when i used the old stuff it was easy enough. Just had to take into account the way it expaned.I was spraying airplaine hangers. Trying to keep the birds out of the lear jets engines.:eek: From what i've seen the guys that do our houses it ain't much different. They do the rim joist on our homes also so i know it works. Just make sure you wear a good mask and maybe one of them hasmat suits.That stuff will stick to everything it comes in contact with.

Last edited:
When we built 5 years ago I priced the kits and also got a couple of bids for spraying the band on the house. It was going to be a wash as far as cost so I just let the contractor do it. You might want to get a couple of bids just to see.

I've used the kits from Tiger Foam with great success.

The decision to do it yourself or hire it out really depends on size. When I was redoing my basement, the cost to hire it out ended up being about the same as buying a bunch of kits (so I hired it out). Since then, I've bought the kits two or three times when I've been working on smaller rooms to seal things up nicely.

I had never done it before, but found the kits very easy to use. I under-sprayed the first bay or two I tried my hand at -- but quickly got the hang of it. It's also easy to go back and add in another layer once you give it some time to cure. Just be sure to follow all of their instructions -- the tyvek suit, face shield, & respirator are a must. The other important thing is to get the tanks warmed up before you use them -- it ensures you get a better yield. I've always allowed for 20% waste and always ended up with foam to spare.

The big question is how much will you need. Shipping on these kits can be a killer -- the Tiger Foam 600BF kit cost $100 to ship, so be sure to take that into consideration when pricing things out. I still ended up using it on my last project because I wanted things done on my schedule and not the contractors.

-Matt

Yes, Larry. I did exactly that with a DIY kit.

Posted about it on the Canadian Forum.

Works fine on RIM joists. you need to tarp EVERYTHING -- the walls I mean. Every time you release the trigger (so each time you move from one joist cavity to another, it will drip a blob of foam, so you need plastic over those walls!!

Dries super super fast, and the odor was really not bad -- yes where a good respirator while spraying, but I took it off very soon afterwards and it was not bad. (I had an exhaust fan running.)

any more questions, ask away!

Another choice would be foam board cut to fit each bay.

The suggestion I've read, to make this method go quicker/easier, is to cut every board very loose -- 1/2" gap all around. This makes it a lot quicker/easier to cut each piece. Put some adhesive behind it and stick it in place and finally use a can of foam to seal around the edges. This gives a perfect fit, well air-sealed, for each piece.

what i am gonna spray isnt a very big area at all.. so i dont need a contractor to bid it.. that was why i was asking about the coverage i only have a about 20 to 80 sq ft of area to cover.

what i am gonna spray isnt a very big area at all.. so i dont need a contractor to bid it.. that was why i was asking about the coverage i only have a about 20 to 80 sq ft of area to cover.

Larry, with my kit I did the rim joist area of my basement shop, which is about 11x24. (I'm not at home to take exact measurements) It was 3 walls, and that works out to about 45ft by 8"(?) high by 4-6" of depth. Thicker on the short ends. I just fiddled with my calculator, and that is about 30 sqft, so if it was all 5" deep that is 150 boardft of foam. My kit claimed 200bdft. And when I was done I had enough to do about 25 bdft on the ceiling...

Given that I pulled these numbers all out of my fuzzy memory, (they might be 9" tall spaces, for instance) I think that works out pretty well correctly.

If you have 80 sqft, then at 4" deep you need 320 boardfoot of foam. If it is only 20sqft, then you can do that to 10" thick with a kit like I used.
Have fun, take pictures!

...art

was hoping that i could get a smaller kit art,, i have heard that you can get cans of it for touch up.. and no i am not thinking of the window and door spray foam..