Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Franks request!!!!

Franks request!!!!

just to appease frank, i am in the very early planning stages of my dream shop. so this is why i ask the strange questions he reflected on.. i am not saying it is a dun deal just gettin info and no.s. this red brain runs at the speed of a 386 or for the mac folks 650 quadra. so it takes time to settle in and get acclimated.. so here is another strange question.. heating has been discussed in other parts of the net world but i have differnt twist on it i think. the building, if it happens is around 1400 sq ft. with a ten ft. ceiling. the most econimical floor structure for this is concrete, want wood but that probally isnt going to happen.. have been looking at pipex or radiant would be around 4 zones of that in a concrete bed, with 2" foam under it. told that was the best thing to do have seen it done without any thing but pipe and crete..if i had the wood floor i could go witha furncae in the crawl space or in either floor type, i could hang a ceiling furnace ..propane in my area.. wood heat is great but the insurance isnt. plus you have to feed it regularry.. so here goes the question frank i hope i have qualified it enough for you today what are your heating plants and floor types and why or why not use what you have? thanks for the time.. just assume that the insulation will be adeqaute,, steve will make i do it right
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

larry......if you go with a dual fuel boiler placed outdoors in a seperate enclosure the insurance co. will be happy, you can burn scrap or firewood and use propane for back-up if you`re too lazy to cut wood or make scrap
    this would let you do radiant heat and burn wood too........tod
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

For radiant heat, you can use a hot water tank. Since the water will only be around 70 degree's or so. I know of a few pepole that do it this way and have no problems heating a three car garage. One of them runs a paint booth in his shop and has no problem keeping that part at 80 degrees. Just a Idea if the money is tight. This could get upgraded later on when you recover from the cost of building a new shop.
    Al

Steve Clardy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    larry......if you go with a dual fuel boiler placed outdoors in a seperate enclosure the insurance co. will be happy, you can burn scrap or firewood and use propane for back-up if you`re too lazy to cut wood or make scrap
    this would let you do radiant heat and burn wood too........tod

Ditto. Cheapest cost in heat source going.

I have a 2 ton electric heat pump. For me, in my area it was the cheapest way to go. Where I am, no natural gas in my neighborhood, propane bottle is a PITA, and radiant was expensive initial cost considering the contractor I had just did garages and was quite expensive for every add on.

For a 24 x 32 x 10 shop I got a 2 ton heat pump installed for $2450. It was a price I could not beat. Costs for heating the shop haven't been bad, but we do not get as cold here in NC as many parts of the country.

Question Which Frank

Larry I was puzzled by your references to Frank, particularly in light of the fact that you are talking about building a shop. But, finally fugured out that that you are probably talking about Frank Fusco and not me. Is that correct?

On the subject of heating, I have a combination of an externally vented propane space heater and a wood stove. The cost of heating is minimal.
    Cheers, Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow View Post
    Larry I was puzzled by your references to Frank, particularly in light of the fact that you are talking about building a shop. But, finally fugured out that that you are probably talking about Frank Fusco and not me. Is that correct?

On the subject of heating, I have a combination of an externally vented propane space heater and a wood stove. The cost of heating is minimal.
    sorry for the confusiuon frank pellow it was stirred toward frank chaffee for his enlightned response to me question on skylights.. so rest at ease and dont fret me trying to have such a great thread as you had on your shop never happen i dont type that well and sure cant do what the others have dun. i just was answring frankie chaffee in jest...

and so you can rest assuured tod i thinik i can handle cuttin or makin scrap just ask steve'A ironically the hopeful shop would be settin right next to my home firewood stack so i might be able to sneak alittle out of there.. the only problem would be feeding two of the critters each day
    Last edited by larry merlau; 03-06-2007 at 11:23 PM. Reason: forgetfullll

Iím working on a reply larry but I type with two fingers so I am twice as slow as tod.

Later,
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Chaffee View Post
    Iím working on a reply larry but I type with two fingers so I am twice as slow as tod.

Later,
    Frank
    you do that frank i am going up now to get some shut eye cant wait for you to type

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    sorry for the confusiuon frank pellow it was stirred toward frank chaffee for his enlightned response to me question on skylights.. so rest at ease and dont fret me trying to have such a great thread as you had on your shop never happen i dont type that well and sure cant do what the others have dun. i just was answring frankie chaffee in jest...

and so you can rest assuured tod i thinik i can handle cuttin or makin scrap just ask steve'A ironically the hopeful shop would be settin right next to my home firewood stack so i might be able to sneak alittle out of there.. the only problem would be feeding two of the critters each day
    Now I understand. It was because of Frank Chaffee's posting in the skylight thread.
    Cheers, Frank