Not What I Was Planning to Do

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
For my whole life, I've managed to avoid the day after Thanksgiving sales (a.k.a. Black Friday). Looks like this year I get to go mix it up a bit with the shoppers tomorrow.

Today at lunch LOML told me that the washing machine was leaking. Actually, she'd noticed a bit of water under the dryer, but since she was pretty sure there's no water supply to the dryer, she rightly deduced that it was the washer leaking instead. She said she had noticed it a few times recently, but only when we were doing laundry. OK, only leaking when in use, that pretty much rules out a leaking hose or fitting. At this point I was figuring a replacement would be necessary, since I don't feel like tracking down a leaky water seal in the inner guts of the washing machine. So just to investigate things a bit more this afternoon, I pulled the washer out to see if I could determine exactly where it was leaking from. Maybe I'd get lucky and find an easy fix. Of course, it was pretty dirty under the washer, but the dirt and lint looked only damp, not soaked. There was only a little bit of standing water. I wanted to clean up the dirty floor to make it easier to track down the leak, so I got a few paper towels to wipe it up. One swipe told me the water leak was the least of our problems. The entire area under the washer was not only dirty, it was very oily. :bang: It looks like this washer has been slinging oil for quite some time. Lots of it. That'd explain some of the noises we've been hearing from it lately. Between the water and the oil, I figure this washer is a goner. I went into the house and told my wife "He's dead, Jim."

Fortunately, tomorrow will be a good day to buy a new washer. Lots of sales. :rolleyes: Since our dryer is about 15 years old, we're going to go all out and get a new washer/dryer set. And we've decided to go with front-loading models, since the water saving will actually pay off over time. I guess I know what LOML is getting for Christmas. :p

Sounds like a good choice. Have had the GE and LG brands, both have worked well, like the LG better so far. Note of warning, the HE versions do take a little longer to cycle, but probably cut out 50% of our water usage (with doing laundry for four). It cut out another 50% of that when my son moved out, kid even brushed his teeth while showering.:dunno:

I had the last set stacked and gave extra room for a counter and hanging space in the room. I plan to do that at this house too, but will be changing out the water heater for the on-demand unit first, mostly so I can stack them where I want them.

Last edited:
And who knew there was that much oil in a washing machine? Well, have fun with the crowds tomorrow! I'm going to try and resist it myself :D

This happened to us last spring. You won't believe the advances they've made in washing machines the last few years... load balancing, programmable cycles, it's incredible. Ours even plays a little song when it's done! It's an LG...

Stackable frontloaders are hard to beat. I was skeptical at first, but I'm a believer now. Good luck with the crowds!

We've got a shelf above the current machines, so there's not enough room (without a bit of remodeling) to stack the pair. I do think I'll be slapping together a quick plywood and 2x4 pedestal for it, at least until I get the time to make a proper one. (Can't see paying $400+ for the ones that match the machines.)

Well, that was easy. :thumb: I* ended up going with a Kenmore Elite set that's near the top of the Consumer Reports ratings, and I didn't even have to leave home and fight the crowds. Sears opened up their 'Doorbuster' sale online early, and they had Saturday delivery available, so the washer and dryer will arrive tomorrow. Saved about $1340 (45%) on the pair. :D I would have done the in-store pickup, but they wouldn't have it there for 3 to 5 days. We've got laundry to do in the next 3 to 5 days, since I'm trying to get packed up for my temporary move, and clean clothes are part of that plan. ;)

* LOML pretty much turned the washer/dryer buying decisions over to me. I'm the tool buyer in the house, and she sees them as tools. Plus, she's got her mind on other shopping right now, and didn't want to get bogged down trying to choose a new washer and dryer. She's out shopping right now (she hit the stores about midnight), checking out all the Black Friday sales and buying me clothes for the new job. Sort of a shame I won't be here much to use the new laundry tools. :rolleyes:

I hate those surprise purchases :doh:Kenmore is almost always a good choice. We replaced ours about 6 months ago with the LG front loaders. It's amazing how much water the front loaders save.

well you must have some outrageous pricing in your area,, for the savings you mentioned vaughn i can buy a complete set and ahve some left over... just bought a dryer a month or so ago,, now help me out here you folks all are talking in code i know what GE is but what is LG??? and what makes those frnt loaders so much better???

well you must have some outrageous pricing in your area,, for the savings you mentioned vaughn i can buy a complete set and ahve some left over... just bought a dryer a month or so ago,, now help me out here you folks all are talking in code i know what GE is but what is LG??? and what makes those frnt loaders so much better???

LG is a brand name. Re: front loaders. When the front loaders first came out, they were much more energy efficient. They used significantly less water, less electricity, and they were also easier on the clothes. But like I said earlier, the top loaders have improved greatly in recent years, so anyone in the market should really check the energy specs because the top loaders are typically cheaper. What I like about a top loader is the easy ability to let something soak, and it's easier to get things into and out of the machine. If the specs are equal, I'd take a top-loader.

I hate those surprise purchases :doh:Kenmore is almost always a good choice. We replaced ours about 6 months ago with the LG front loaders. It's amazing how much water the front loaders save.

As I understand it, this particular model is made for Sears by LG.

I'm looking forward to the water savings. :thumb: On our latest utility bill, the water costs were nearly as high as the electricity costs. The two lawns are partially to blame, but LOML doing umpteen small loads of laundry every week is another big contributing factor. Now I just need to convince her to take advantage of the large capacity the new washer has and start doing bigger loads. :rolleys: :p

As I understand it, this particular model is made for Sears by LG.

I'm looking forward to the water savings. :thumb: On our latest utility bill, the water costs were nearly as high as the electricity costs. The two lawns are partially to blame, but LOML doing umpteen small loads of laundry every week is another big contributing factor. Now I just need to convince her to take advantage of the large capacity the new washer has and start doing bigger loads. :rolleys: :p

Well, washer going bad could turn out to be a blessing in disguise.

ofcourse, I didnt get to enjoy most of the food served last night by my wife, being 70% of it was just too off limits for me now, but the turkey was excellent, as were the veggies, so today I gave my wife a choice. Ill suffer with her at a store if she really wants to go, or Ill take her over to the new Racino that opened near us.
Being the penny slot machine queen she is, she was up in the shower this morning before I finished my offer.
So no woodworking today, and no shopping for me.(and Im fine with that)
I purchased a few things online this week, and got all the same prices with the huge pre black friday online sales.
Free shipping, theres no down side to shopping online, other than I have to wait till tuesday to get the stuff.

Well, I had a shift in the plans. After I placed the order at Sears, I realized that the design of the fronts of the machines wasn't going to appeal to LOML/SWMBO. Don't ask me why, but she likes circles better than squares, and the faces of the white Kenmore set have big black squares outlining the porthole door. So this afternoon on a whim, I went by a local appliance store that was advertising a comparable Sanyo set, also 45% off, in their newspaper ad. (Comparable, except for the more "round" design.) To my surprise they had a set in stock and available for pickup Saturday, so I went ahead and bought that set. (I soon thereafter canceled the Sears order, since I figured we don't really need two washers and two dryers.) :rolleyes: They would have delivered the set free, but we'd have to wait until Tuesday. I've got a lift gate and a dolly, so I figure I can go pick them up. We'll sell or give away the old dryer, and I'll put the broken washer on the curb and let the city Large Item Pickup guys handle it. (We get one or two large item pickups per year at no extra charge. Just have to call and schedule it.)

Our washing machine and dryer seem to be going all of the time. Myrna says that we have to be the dirtiest or the cleanest people in town.

Enjoy your new toys. And don't you dare think of giving a wife an appliance for any holiday. They rate girl things like you rate boy toys.

Enjoy,

JimB