Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the lights CAME on

Red face the lights CAME on

well seeing as how cynthia has been putting out a few good questions i came across one that i just saw recently.. i am in the process of making a large cutting table for the better half's quilting work and was going along smoothly till... my hunting buddy by last night and he is a builder he and i used to work together..anyway in the conversation he asked if i was gonna be able to get this in the house? i said sure, no problem its only 32" wide.. well i seemed to forget that face frames add width and my lights hadn't come on yet.. so this am before i attached the first set of face frames i done measuring had more light to see with and guess what i am a 1/2" to wide to fit this table in the house under normal methods..so i do have another route that will require help but can be done...so basically i built a boat in my basement and now i cant sail it real easy.. anyone else done one of these blunders? if so lets hear it misery loves company
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I had a near miss with a dresser. Thought I had the problem of 'boat in the basement' solved . . . out the garage door and in the front . . . nope. Fortunately, I only had to pull the door stop moulding (and the door of course). The worst of it was a quick re-paint on the door frame.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 11-27-2011 at 12:57 AM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    Due to the poor planning of whoever built our place, I had to tear-out the back-wall out of a closet to access the shower/tub plumbing. I replaced the diverter valve & misc parts and learned why people pay plumbers {what a nightmare}
    Then spent the time to make a proper access panel, re-did the remaining drywall work and repacked the closet floor of the umpteen 'save' boxes the Mrs insists on hoarding...only to find out I installed the diverter upside down

Depending on style and length of the legs and where the spreaders are, sometimes you can rotate the table 90 degrees onto it's side and "hook" the first leg through the door (approach the door at an angle to get the leg through), then swing back square to the door, move forward until the trailing leg gets to the door frame, then "hook" again to get the second leg through. That doesn't work so well if you have a narrow hallway on one side of the door.

well i found another avenue for my boat experience,, leave partially unassembled and will gain me better access to the house like they say measure twice, deliver once well tom this is one big square box that has just rollers on it for movement.. but i will leave the top off and put that on inside the house now
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I've had to remove more than 1 door frame
    Faith, Hope & Charity

aye wuz gunna sey ol son, iffn ye ken leev the legzes off, u kin ettach em in th kqiltin room.
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Back in my early 20s I built a full size platform bed out of particleboard. I painted it flat black. It looked like the monolith in 2001, which was a new movie back then. And it was all nailed and glued together. Came time to move, it couldn't. I took it apart with a skilsaw.
    If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

One of LOML's co-workers gave us an oak entertainment center, and LOML decided she wanted it in the guest bedroom. There was no way to get it around the corner from the hall into the room, so I cut it in half horizontally.

Before:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ET Whole.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	62967

After:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ET in Half.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	118.3 KB 
ID:	62966

No pics handy, but when I reassembled it, I covered up the cut lines on the outside with 3" wide strips of oak, stained to match, with ebonized plugs hiding the screw holes. It actually looks like it was planned that way.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I didn't have a problem size wise getting it out of the basement or into the house, but I've learned my lesson with building things non-modular. This cabinet has 3" x 3" solid corner posts, 3/4" sides, top, bottom, and interior partitions, 1/2" back, panels on the front are also 1/2" thick. It weighs as much as a baby grand piano. Took 4 guys to move it.

Latest version, dry bar and drawer added in place of the TV...even heavier yet
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture-025.jpg  
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault