the lights CAME on

larry merlau

well seeing as how cynthia has been putting out a few good questions i came across one that i just saw recently.. i am in the process of making a large cutting table for the better half's quilting work and was going along smoothly till... my hunting buddy by last night and he is a builder he and i used to work together..anyway in the conversation he asked if i was gonna be able to get this in the house? i said sure, no problem its only 32" wide.. well i seemed to forget that face frames add width and my lights hadn't come on yet.. so this am before i attached the first set of face frames i done measuring had more light to see with :) and guess what i am a 1/2" to wide to fit this table in the house under normal methods..so i do have another route that will require help but can be done...so basically i built a boat in my basement and now i cant sail it real easy.. anyone else done one of these blunders? if so lets hear it misery loves company:)

I had a near miss with a dresser. Thought I had the problem of 'boat in the basement' solved . . . out the garage door and in the front . . . nope. Fortunately, I only had to pull the door stop moulding (and the door of course). The worst of it was a quick re-paint on the door frame.

Last edited:
Due to the poor planning of whoever built our place, I had to tear-out the back-wall out of a closet to access the shower/tub plumbing. I replaced the diverter valve & misc parts and learned why people pay plumbers :eek: {what a nightmare}
Then spent the time to make a proper access panel, re-did the remaining drywall work and repacked the closet floor of the umpteen 'save' boxes the Mrs insists on hoarding...only to find out I installed the diverter upside down :doh:

Depending on style and length of the legs and where the spreaders are, sometimes you can rotate the table 90 degrees onto it's side and "hook" the first leg through the door (approach the door at an angle to get the leg through), then swing back square to the door, move forward until the trailing leg gets to the door frame, then "hook" again to get the second leg through. That doesn't work so well if you have a narrow hallway on one side of the door.

well i found another avenue for my boat experience,, leave partially unassembled and will gain me better access to the house:) like they say measure twice, deliver once:) well tom this is one big square box that has just rollers on it for movement.. but i will leave the top off and put that on inside the house now:)

Back in my early 20s I built a full size platform bed out of particleboard. I painted it flat black. It looked like the monolith in 2001, which was a new movie back then. And it was all nailed and glued together. Came time to move, it couldn't. I took it apart with a skilsaw.

One of LOML's co-workers gave us an oak entertainment center, and LOML decided she wanted it in the guest bedroom. There was no way to get it around the corner from the hall into the room, so I cut it in half horizontally.

Before:

ET Whole.jpg

After:

ET in Half.jpg

No pics handy, but when I reassembled it, I covered up the cut lines on the outside with 3" wide strips of oak, stained to match, with ebonized plugs hiding the screw holes. It actually looks like it was planned that way.

I didn't have a problem size wise getting it out of the basement or into the house, but I've learned my lesson with building things non-modular. This cabinet has 3" x 3" solid corner posts, 3/4" sides, top, bottom, and interior partitions, 1/2" back, panels on the front are also 1/2" thick. It weighs as much as a baby grand piano. Took 4 guys to move it.

Picture-025.jpg

2005_0328EntertainmentCenter0002.jpg

Latest version, dry bar and drawer added in place of the TV...even heavier yet
2006_0105ETInsert0004.jpg

Attachments

• Picture-025.jpg
    Picture-025.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 2
I just had to crack up laughing when i saw this post.

Linda figured this out for me before i ever did.

Desire = build strip canoe in basement.

Problem = how to get it out once done?

Solution = Build new shop :D;) to build canoe.

Now wise man say give problem to better half to solve = better solution for me.:D:wave::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Maybe time to move better half out of basement to her own shop?;)

Turn basement into man cave for you and charlie. :D No walking to shop to listen to music can have own flat panel near bed. ;) Easy access to kitchen and fridge.

Lots of options. Dont have to move out of house when quilting ladies come over they can all go to better halfs workshop. :rofl:

not an option rob:) this is for her and her ladies,, and right now bbKing and clapton are making my day pleasent and the coffee pot is full:) life is grand in my world right now:) she is in hers and charlie is protecting her:)

Here's another one , although this and my shower one, do not fit the 'now what' theme, I thought I'd throw it in, as blunder is my middle name :rofl:
LOML wanted a book case to fit a section of wall between a window and door, no problem right...except I forgot to take into account there was light switch on that wall :doh:
guess it's really one of a kind now :lemon:<me:lemon head
Bcase.jpg

Larry, I haven't built a boat in the basement yet, but I've made so many ww blunders I can't even count them all.

Cynthia that's called experience. Unfortunately by the time we get all that experience we can no longer remember the blunder/experience where we learned not to do that again. That's why we make some of the same blunders over...I mean have some of the same ex...what was that word again?:eek::rofl: