Stair case routing

Hello I am new to this forum, I have been doing light woodworking for about 10 years. Previously I was in the remodeling field. I have a question for stair builders. If this is in the wrong place I am sorry. I am looking for a jig to route out the stringers for a staircase that I am building for my house. Is there a company in the usa that makes these or are they all in the UK. Or if anyone has a drawing to make a jig I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Fred Pilkington

fred, i prefer to make my own on the rare occasion i do stairs.....i like using 3/4 baltic birch. if you join your treads-n-risers with a 1/2x1/2 tongue-n-groove, then allow for a 1"in12" wedge you`ll have a pattern to cut, then try your parts before affixing the fence.......it`s much easier to build than to discribe:eek: ......but if like me you prefer 1 1/2" thick treads and 1 1/4" thick risers the ready made jigs won`t fit `em anyway.........a set of housed stringers will outlive you and i! tod

Thanks Todd

Todd: Thanks I was not sure what the wedge dimensions were. I have built a few of the cut stringer stairs before. I am using 1 1/2" treads. I will have to play in the shop with the jig.:) :) :) .

Thanks
Fred

Thanks Steve

Steve:
Thanks for the information. I had seen the trend jig from Trend UK. also the other aluminum jig for 600.00. I thought I would try to make one. Since this will probably be the only one that I do. Good information though. I appreciate it. My wife had to like the toughest one to make. I may even get a new router out of this one.:) :) :D . What size router bit do you recommend for a template? I will probably get the 3 hp porter cable.

Fred P:)

fred, i like to use 3/4" top bearing bits....and i prefer to use two routers with different length bits.....the first cut when using a 1" top bearing bit with a 3/4" thick jig is slightly over 1/2" deap then before moving the template take the second router with a 1 1/2" bit to finish trenching to a full inch.....this gives nice deap mortises for the treads-n-risers pluss plenty of meat for your wedges to engage.....tod