Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Hand Stitched Rasps are Made

How Hand Stitched Rasps are Made

Here's a neat video showing how Liogier makes hand stitched rasps. It's the lower frame and has English titles.

http://www.liogier-france.fr/what-is...?lang=en#video

Cheers,
    Last edited by Dan Gonzales; 11-28-2011 at 09:33 AM.
    Dan Gonzales
    Whittier, CA, USA
    Dona nobis pacem

Mad respect for the guys who do the hand stitching!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

It's no surprise that a good hand-stitched rasp is very pricey when you see the amount of labor that goes into each one.

Question for the Neander types: Why does a hand-stitched rasp seem to perform better than a machine-made one?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Vaughn, I know that one. Just saw Chris Schwartz on The WoodWright shop. The hand stitched rasp is random. Machine made are identical rows. The hand stitched one thus doesn't create the high low groove like a machine one does.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

To understand better the difference between machine-made rasps and a hand-stitched one, you may want to read this and that.

Noel

PS : Thanks Jonathan, after reading your sentence ę I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first placeĽ, I think I will still have a smile on my face when Iíll go to sleep tonight

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but is there a way of re-stiching a worn out rasp? I know it is more a metal working question but, I only need to know if before re.stichitching them they are heated or tempered afterwards, or if it can be done just with a punch following the original pattern.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

It appears that they are stitched first then hardened. It would be more difficult to raise the tooth on hardened steel and maybe not even possible.

I am thinking chemically or electrolytically removing some steel might work.
    Dan Gonzales
    Whittier, CA, USA
    Dona nobis pacem

You surely have to annealed the steel first in order to lower its hardness. Then you need to grind and polisth the rasp so it becomes a good blank again (the cross section of the new rasp will be smaller then). Then you can stitch it and harden it again.

Compared to the price of a new one, this will surely not save money, but it can be a lot of fun.

Noel, thank you very much for the information on your fine tools, I just read the two links you posted, very interesting!

Are your tools only available from your website?

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Hello Stuart, my tools are also at some retaillers... but unfortunately I don' have one in Tokyo or in Japan.