Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm Looking for Opinions on Woodworking Video

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia

I'm Looking for Opinions on Woodworking Video

I'd like to get some opinions.

I watch a lot of ww videos. I enjoy "steveinmarin" on youtube and he has a lot of them. However, I find his hands are WAY TOO CLOSE to the blade of his saws most of the time. Do you think so too?

Here's an example. If you don't want to watch the whole video, then watch minutes 6:30 to 8:30 and you'll see him make a few different cuts on his table saw and then his chop saw.

Tell me what you think.........
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

I am probably not a good person to say, as I feel most everyone have their hands too close to the blade, but I agree. I would not feel comfortable doing what he did and would use some aid to push the wood through. I also did not like how he made the cove cut at the beginning. I would have use a push block on that cut also.
    Last edited by Bill Satko; 11-29-2011 at 12:52 AM.
    “When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.” - John Ruskin
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde

Steve is a little casual for me also. Unfortunately even the most professional of our periodicals will sometimes show methods and techniques that make me pucker. I am disappointed less in a respected woodworker for doing these things (although that is disturbing) than I am in the editors of the video for letting these "moments on film" escape into the wild. I would go for bulk content and apply your own common sense to proximity or approach ;-) BTW, I find the very inexpensive yearly subscription to Fine Woodworking Magazine's online offering to be well worth the cost and it is a fraction of many video media format items you might buy.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    ...BTW, I find the very inexpensive yearly subscription to Fine Woodworking Magazine's online offering to be well worth the cost....
    I totally agree and have had a subscription to that for a while now. I've gone through that site with a microscope
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

I agree with Bill about the way the cove cut was done at the beginning of the video. A safer alternative would have been to add a rail to either side of the blade to hold the workpiece above the blade, then reduce the height of the rails. As to the rest of the table saw work, I'd say it's typical for an experienced woodworker but I'd use push blocks in some situations.

The worst offense was at the chop saw. No doubt, Steve felt safe making the cut the way he did but there are better ways, like using a longer piece of scrap so your fingers are farther from the blade or using a hold-down stick (pencil?) so your hand is above and farther from the blade.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

I agree with the comments already made. I agree that he's got some off humor in the videos and is willing to point out his mistakes. Like in the making chains with a router, which I might have to try out...http://www.youtube.com/user/stevinma.../3/1pHCfXtRYCA
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Well Cynthia you need to do what your gut says but I didn't see anything wrong. Cut on the tablesaw like that all the time.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	63013
    Only thing different I would have done is use a zero clearance insert to keep that thin strip from falling between the blade and the insert.

I know I'll catch some grief but such is life. For me anything narrower than what he is cutting I'll use a push stick but not for the width he was cutting.

I have done close to the same thing, more than once.

I thought you was going all hand tools anyway Cynthia?
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you don’t know what tool to buy next, then you probably don’t need it yet.

have done the same as him in the past and may in the future on some of those operations but do use a push stick as much as i can..fingers dont grow back well..just ask charlies neil and steve southwood maybe dom as well..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Yep, its a dangerous hobby. I do try and take my health and safety a little more serious now.
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you don’t know what tool to buy next, then you probably don’t need it yet.