Assembly bench idea

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
Bill Arnold's Torsion top assembly bench got me to planning one of my own. I liked the size of Bill's but was considering only 4' x 6'. I'd also like to have casters under it so I can move it in and out of the finish room, as well as around the shop. I'm considering something similar to the one below with some modifications.

download

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=97c6b3099a406960d3dad974dc098fa1&prevstart=0

I like the idea of the electrical outlets and tool storage. I'm thinking that where the big drawer is I'll actually just have an open shelf for my pancake compressor, then run air connections to each end by the outlets. The back side has some long drawers, assuming for clamps, but will probably break those up for fastener storage.

nice looking design ,,, but why do you want to roll it into the finish room darren??? tools and finish dont mix well.. if you need a bench or table to do your finishing on make a knock down version or just weld up something out of some scrap metal.. that way you wouldnt have to keep it pretty and it will hold anything you put on it..

She looks great and a rolling work surface is a boon to any shop. I would put some sort of knock down fixture in the finish room though. Although I guess you could always throw a tarp over it to keep the vapors out of the glides and wheels.

i thought that design looked a bit familiar. stretched a tad, with a different top and center case layout version of the one posted in the group build area. recognized the torsion box base. looks good darren, can't wait to see it built.

Darren,

That's a great design. I had originally thought about a 3'x6' but this latest project of mine is a little over 6' long, plus I have the room so I made mine larger. Because of the way I like to build things, along with the way my shop is laid out, I decided a fixed table was best. Mine is in the same area where I spray finish, but I have an exhaust system to draw out the fumes and can cover anything that I think might have an issue.

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product!

Thanks for the comments, not my design, I'm just stealing it. ;) It may be a while before I can get the rest of the shop enclosed and heated, so I'm looking at building a finish room anyway, it may just get built next and give me someplace to keep the glue warm while drying, so I wanted the bench to be movable for that purpose. Not to mention, the shop is multi use, so the table will get moved around.