A Mess of Mills

Don Orr

It seems we are on a roll with pepper mills. I just completed an order of pepper mills for a customer. Nine of them at 10" tall with traditional mechanisms. He supplied the wood. The 7 walnut mills are from a single piece of crotch/branch that he has had for many years. The 2 oak came from a 4 x 4 newel post. Thay all have 2 coats of Bush oil with LV conservators wax. The customer picked them up today and was very pleased. I started this a few months ago cutting out the blanks, letting them settle, roughing to cylinders, letting them settle, drilling, letting them settle, truing and final shaping. He wanted me to do it last year but did not give me much notice. He was smart enough to get to me early this year so he could have them as Christmas gifts. I am also pleased with how they came out.

Thoughts, comments, critiques welcome.

Attachments

• FWW Mills.jpg
    FWW Mills.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 65
Very good looking Pepper Mills Don. I am sure he is a happy customer with that workmanship. The walnut sure pops nice on something like that. Good way to show that grain. Normally i like light wood but somehow not on a mill. Especially not when i can see what you done with that walnut. :thumb::thumb: