Best Turning Magazine Question

Dan Mosley

I have a fellow turner that I talk to and debate different topics with and the topic of what is the best woodturning magazine popped up in conversation. I told them that I do not subscribe to any of them because of the ones I have seen the content lacks. It is just my opnion of course and I may be wrong and there may very well be a something out there that I am not aware of.

Another turner wrote this:: Magazines are a disservice to the turner ...the articles have little resemblance to the techniques required to complete the project-----often someone other than the original craftsman wrote the article....to many details are lost to the editors cutting......video often no better because to many details are left out making them little value.

I would take exception to the comment on the videos however (U-Tube aside) because I have several -Tibbs,Raffan,Grumbine,Mahooney,McEvoy - some of the content may not useful to me because of my particular setup/tooling etc.....but, I have never regreted owning any of these videos and I have learned alot from them.

Back to the topic now - What do others think the best Magazine is for woodturning ????? and your comments on the contents........Thanks

These would be the best in my books or a least for me. I get the one from AAW since I am a member and Woodturning Design. Not sure if they are worth the money or not Dan. There is a awful lot of stuff in there that I would not consider a turned piece so the articles don't interest me much. I know some it is turned but not much on some pieces. Now don't get me wrong they are beautiful pieces of art and the artists are just top notch. As for the magazines I do get some good info from them time and again.

I also get the AAW mag and Woodturning Design, and I'd say Woodturning Design is my favorite in regards to true turning. The AAW magazine has some good articles, but there are usually some in each issue that don't really interest me at all. It is good for artistic inspiration and fresh ideas, though.

Thanks for the input - I have ordered some back issues of Woodturning Design that seemed to be interesting reading and Ill go from there...........again thanks

I don't like the AAW one at all, to many artsy & other crap. My personal favorites are Wood turning design & most of all I really love this one. Woodturning This one is printed in the UK but there is always a lot of projects & hints & tips & a lot more.