Bad day turned good

Chuck Beland

We had torrential rain for the first three hours of my work day & temp was 40. It was cold. But the rain stopped. One of my customers wanted me to make him 2 Bubinga/ebony ring bowls so about a week & a half I delivered them, he also wanted two Wallstreet pens with his father in law to be name engraved on them. I used cut offs from the Bubinga for one of the pens & I had some Amboyna burl for the other one. I used a black & a black Ti kits & had Ryan at Woodturningz engrave them with color fill. They came our perfectly. He gave me $250 for the items. I thought that was a decent price for the two bowls & engraved pens. He loved the bowls & the pens & thought the price was more then fair for home made turnings. So a day that started out bad turned good. It helps with the piggy bank for tool purchases.

I forgot to take pics of the pens but here is copies of the ring bowls I made them.

Click pics for full size

Update:
I left Angelo a message on his cell phone that I want to know how they liked the gifts. I saw him yesterday he told me his fiancée mother loved the ring bowl she couldn't believe the finial wasn't plastic. He showed her the note I wrote him telling him the wood & the prices it cost me to make. She was florred that it was a wood called Gabon Ebony it was so shiny.
The father who I made the pens for, is 70 yrs old & writes columns for a newspaper in MA. he writes all his columns in cursive writing no comp for him. Angelo said he couldn't stop staring at the pens & couldn't believe they were wood. He liked the Bubinga & black Wallstreet but he really loved the Amboyna & black Ti pen. Angelo now wants me to make him 4 more pens for friends of his. :cool: A definite boost to my tool piggy bank. :)

Thanks guys I was really happy that they like the gifts. You can't beat homemade gifts. Especially with the beauty mother nature put inside of wood.