Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Air Line setup,, Water troubles

Air Line setup,, Water troubles

just got off the phone with a tech from a reputable company and he has told me that my setup is all wrong and thats why i have water troubles,, so here i am going to ask you folks that have been in ;arger shops where the air system was larger than just running a hose to your tool from your compressor.. i had been told prior to building my setup on how to go about it,, i have what was referred to a cooling rack with 4 drops right at the compressor for water dismissal.. then it goes across to a actually water trap device before ever entering the shop piping to get air to my tools or spray equipment.. worked well for some time then has been giving fits for the last year or so.. the trap doesnt seem to be stopping it at all and i have changed out he filter-- so to those who have seen larger setups how does it work there and how was it done.. this guy say i need to replumb it
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Larry, the best solution I've seen here on the Forum is the system Vaughn McMillan set up. He showed it in this thread. I bought some of the parts to build it but haven't done it yet.
    Last edited by Bill Arnold; 11-30-2011 at 06:16 PM.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

i will take some shots of what i have bill,, its similar to vaughns setup and was a suggestion from someone that knows wood work,, tod.. but i must have missed a step some where..

Hey Larry do you remember my setup? I don't have any water problems and mine is very simple to boot. It comes straight from the compressor at about 5 foot off the ground around to my work bench. From there it tee's and one goes up to my hose reel and the other continues under my work bench and down the wall under ground to Norma's shed. I have one more tee at the corner of my work bench and that goes straight down to the floor with a valve on the end. In 4 years of service I've yet to get any water to drain out of it.

i have been looking back at the old posts i knew i had posted my setup but i cant seem to find it alan,, i still think it should work but i got water now that i didnt used to have for some time.. i always blow off the drains at the tap i am gonna use and before i wouldnt worry about it.. will do my best to get some pics..
    Last edited by larry merlau; 11-30-2011 at 07:13 PM.

The type of air compressor makes a difference also I had a Black Max's that ran at 3450 RPM's and made very little water. Then when I upgraded to a better compressor it ran about have the speed with a cast iron pump. It made a lot of water everyday. I installed a ball valve in a line running for the bottom of the tank and out the back wall and when I shut down at night I would drain out all the water for the day and I also closed the supply valve every night then had water traps at all the outlets. The main supply line (1 1/2") ran up an overhead with 1/2 drops. The drop lines came down an I "T" them in and had a 12" piece on down with a petcock in the end of it to drain once in a while if needed which wasn't very often.
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

this what i have now,, first pic is how the compressor connects to the air line system.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tn_compressor to cooling rack.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	63102

the next 2 pics is what my cooling rack is like, its 1" black pipe 4 legs of 10ft pipe connected in a loop with drain valves at each drop end.

Name:	tn_last cooling drop to water trap.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	143.7 KB 
ID:	63104 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tn_10 ft cooling rack top.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	109.3 KB 
ID:	63101

then it comes threw my wall to the water trap and transitions to copper going up to the ceiling.

Name:	tn_water trap to copper.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	63100

this what my normal drops are like.

Name:	tn_normal drop.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	63105

and then i have this setup in my finish room to catch any water that got threw.. which for a long time was none, then the first trap filled up and i cant seem to get it back to being dry again??

Name:	tn_finish room drop.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	63103

Here is a shot at my compressor. Just a piece of air hose connected to the white air line.

Name:	001 (600 x 450).jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	101.9 KB 
ID:	63111
    From there it runs horizontally down the side of the shop and accross the back to the middle.

Name:	002.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	138.0 KB 
ID:	63108
    From there it goes down and tee's off to the hose reel.

Name:	003.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	148.2 KB 
ID:	63109
    And from there it runs along the side of my bench where it tee's off again to go under the bench to the wall to go underground to Norma's shed. I also have a piece running down the front of the bench with a valve on the end to drain any condensation. I opened it tonight and there wasn't any as usual.

Name:	004.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	134.1 KB 
ID:	63110
    No where in the system will you find a water trap or a drier. Just a very simple setup.

Alan, is it possible you are in a much drier climate than Larry? Could that be the difference? Larry, has it been pretty wet out your way lately?
    If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

hadnt given the thought of the weather this year it was pretty wet for us.. but the shop is conditioned air ken..