Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Osage orange is awesome firewood.

Osage orange is awesome firewood.

I got kind of desperate in the firewood department a yesterday. I ran through all of my stash of firewood and was scrounging around burning everything flammable to heat the house. (i won't admit to what I burned) I had a few osage logs laying about and decided to sacrifice a couple of twisted pieces. They weren't really suitable for longbows anyway. Put them burning around 3 p.m. and went back out about 9 p.m. to throw in some more junk wood which was soaking wet and found that the outdoor boiler was up to temp and the osage only half burned. Still had a bed of coals @ 9 a.m. the next morning. Wish I had a barn full of that stuff. By the way it got down to 18 degrees last night and I usually have to load the stove up before going to bed to last till morning.
    I'm a certifiable tree hugger. (it's a poor mans way of determining DBH before cutting the tree down)

Paul, Paul, Paul....say it aint so....Osage Orange firewood???? LOL
    It's not what you achieve in life...It's what you overcome!

It's a sacrelidge to burn OO.
    Better the family freezes.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Ok the real question is, what color were the flames
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you donít know what tool to buy next, then you probably donít need it yet.

It just so happens that I drove past the fence row where I gleaned the Osage logs 10 years ago or so. Noticed that a large tree was snapped off and laying over. Going to stop in and see if they might want some cleanup work done for free
    I'm a certifiable tree hugger. (it's a poor mans way of determining DBH before cutting the tree down)

It's better and easier if you cut it and split it while it's green. Once it dries it's harder than a buggy hub. Burns almost as hot as coal.

Another great hard wood to burn is sycamore.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Downes View Post
    It just so happens that I drove past the fence row where I gleaned the Osage logs 10 years ago or so. Noticed that a large tree was snapped off and laying over. Going to stop in and see if they might want some cleanup work done for free
    Bring extra chains for yer chainsaw. Cut as long as possible. Cut short and, sure as heck, a project will come along where you wish you had long pieces. DAMHIK
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Also burning it in a fireplace is the best way I know of burning your house down.
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

Is Osage Orange anything close to what we always called Hedge?
    Thanks