New Nevada shop

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
I rented a property that included a 24' x 36' garage. Moving in is in process. Availability of electricity is an issue, as is the fact of no trusses, just rafters. And, yes the the ridge board is not a straight line!

First issue is lighting. Working on it. Also, have a new computer and have not yet figured out the picture thing. So have patience. Will be looking for some input on organization later.

You might just inspire me to call the electrician out to run a sub pane to my garage... Keep us posted!

The garage has an electrical panel, but it is woefully inadequate. This is a rental, so I am unikely to sink any significant money into it. The box did have room to replace one breaker with a double breaker and so I did - not that finding one to fit wasn't a challenge! There will be three circuits for outlets, one for lights and one 30 amp 220V for the saw and lathe. Got lucky there. Previous owner thought to put the washer and dryer out there. Never happened. While there are drains, there is no water supply.

I have two more 'strings' of lights to hang which are switched into three zones and that project will be done. Then it is on to the outlet situation.

Working in the photo thing. I just got a new MacBook, so am learning new things. Be patient. Pictures will come.

But it is also Advent, the Christmas season. Some of you can appreciate what that does to a preacher's calendar of events!

And, yeah, Tom, all under ONE roof! LOL! :) :thumb:

Carol,

It is truly wonderful to have a shop that has room enough to breathe in. Enjoy it to the hilt.

Carol, you have seen my "Big" shop. Of course it has a 7ft x 7ft bathroom cut out of it. Then there is the forced air furnace, the hot water tank, the washing machine, the dryer, freezer, four file cabinets, food storage cabinet, cleaning materials cabinet, water softener, three recycle containers, and I'm getting depressed thinking of all of that good woodworking space going to waste for all those useless things.

I have plenty of room in the back yard for a shop. However, it has one disadvantage---It goes downhill on a 45 degree slope.

Ah, dream on Bradley.

Guard your space Carol and have a lot of fun in it.

Enjoy,

JimB

As big as it is, it got really small really fast as tools were unloaded - and they are not all here. One caveat was to leave enough space to park the car and motorcycle. The sun eats those things up. And actually having reserved space for them is not a bad thing, because that then becomes an assembly area. All the metal working stuff is stored in Arizona for the duration, as is most of my lumber stash. One is the transportation problem and the other is, where am I going to put it? And boy, is unpacking a pain! Tomorrow it is back to finish the lights and take some pictures. I have figured out how to get them off the camera and onto the new computer. Where is the tutorial about posting them?

Lights are up. 25 of them. On to the 110V outlets. Maybe Friday, depending on my schedule. Pictures taken. Got them off the camera. Now need to learn to edit them and prepare them for posting. New computers take a lot of time. Any Apple guru's out there?

As big as it is, it got really small really fast as tools were unloaded - and they are not all here.

I noticed that same effect on my shop which is a bit smaller. Rooms look so big when they're empty. Looking forward to hitching a ride with you while you set up shop. Congrats!

Here is shot of most of the lights.

Shop Lights.jpg

I am using inexpensive shaded fixtures from the borg with 27 watt daylight cfl's. They are in a five foot grid. I hav one more row to do.

This is a rented piece of property. These lights work exceptionally well and it truly makes the inside very well lit. And they go with me when I leave.

And you can also see the huge mess things are in.

Working on it.

When you said 25 lights, I was thinking wow!

I'm still thinking, WOW!

Looks very nicely lit. :thumb:

Here is shot of most of the lights.

View attachment 63286

I am using inexpensive shaded fixtures from the borg with 27 watt daylight cfl's. They are in a five foot grid. I hav one more row to do.

This is a rented piece of property. These lights work exceptionally well and it truly makes the inside very well lit. And they go with me when I leave.

And you can also see the huge mess things are in.

Working on it.

Tool grouping will be decided by availability of power. Needless to say I have to run all the power to wherever I need it. Again, rental property, gotta keep the infrastructure expense down.

I planted a 10' 2x4 between the saw and the lathe. They both require 220V.

220 pole.jpg

I will also add a 110V power power strip to this 'power pole.'

The next power pole will be between the band saw and the drill press. Maybe tomorrow.