Show me your wall mounted Hand tool cabinet

Jeff Horton

Title says it all. I am sick of the mess on my joiners bench and I need better (more) storage for hand planes, chisels, marking gages, saws, etc. All the usual neander tools. So show me what you built because I want to beg/borrow/steal your good ideas. This just moved to the top of my list!

FWIW, I am looking for utility, not looks. I have a bunch of 1" oak given to me that I plan on using. Much is not furniture quality so I will probably use that for the cabinet. I might make a fancy door for it to dress it up some? Just depends, but utility is what I am looking for over everything else.

I pondered over making a plane and saw till for so long, I reached the point you are at right now. I did this "temporarily" and it stuck. Probably not recommended for locals with . . . weather ;)

Shop Tour 2011-10-19 (27).jpg

1/4" pegboard from the scrap bin and bootlaces.

Wish I could help Jeff, but I too, am looking forward to seeing what others have come up with.

Looks like Bob got into the egg-nog a little early this year :rofl:

Glenn, pertaining to that 'weather' comment....do they sound-out like a wind chime during the shakes & shimmy's :D

Glenn, pertaining to that 'weather' comment....do they sound-out like a wind chime during the shakes & shimmy's :D

Funny you should mention it . . . its hard to see in the pics but there are short 1/4" dowels placed so that if they were to sway, they hit the dowel and not each other. Funny, but true :).

Got to be a member to see it Bart. I would sign up for the trial but then you start getting their junk mail.

I posted over on woodnet and got some good ideas. One of the least attractive really appeals to me.

IMG_0337.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

I like the plane storage. I was thinking standing on end but this has advantages. Easy to rearrange and get too. I think it uses the space better too.

Got to be a member to see it Bart. I would sign up for the trial but then you start getting their junk mail.

I posted over on woodnet and got some good ideas. One of the least attractive really appeals to me.

View attachment 63176

View attachment 63177

I like the plane storage. I was thinking standing on end but this has advantages. Easy to rearrange and get too. I think it uses the space better too.

Jeff that’s really not to bad it does keep the depth of the cabinet from being to deep. It's not to elaborate so construction should be fun & fairly quick.