Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New here - from Iowa

New here - from Iowa

Well, this looks like the most appropriate place for a first post to the forums

As stated in the title, I'm from Iowa, a transplant from Northern Missouri. I'm about 4-1/2 decades old... and feel it some days lol. All the kids have left the nest, and I have had renewed interest in an old hobby. In fact, I've started planning my future shop -- most of my 2-1/2 car garage, approx 28'widex24'deep. Recently I have cleared out one side of the garage so I could at least start to get some sort of order to my tools, and so I could find them. Perhaps I'll start a thread in the "Shop Tours" forum on that, although I'm afraid it won't hold a candle to some of the shops I've seen in there. Many many impressive shops.

A bit about me, let's see, I already mentioned I'm a "showme" transplant to Iowa... I grew up swinging a hammer, and loved helping my father do whatever it was he was working on at the time. Probably my favorite Christmas present ever was a hand made tool bench approx 4' wide that had a 2'x4' pegboard back that he made for me. Included that Christmas were some tools, a hammer, square, screwdrivers, coping saw, tape measure .... I think I was about 7. He was at that time the hardware manager at a lumberyard, and I loved going with him to work on the weekends. Guess I followed in his footsteps, as I ended up working in the lumber business for about 20 years. I managed 3 different lumberyards, in 2008 things turned south in the lumber business, and I decided to switch careers, and now work at one of my other favorite hobbies as a job, now I'm a Unix Systems Administrator for an ISP here in Iowa. I know, computers/lumber ... sort of an odd combination I suppose

I loved working in the lumber business, but I never seemed to have time to do woodworking then, now I have the time to start and I can tell ya... it never leaves the blood. I told the better half, I'm taking over about 3/4 of the garage for my wood shop, she's all for it.... what a keeper, one of those reasons we've been married so long.

Well, I could bore you with the rest of my life story, but I'd better leave some of those for later, someone else might like to use a few bits-n-bytes besides me tonight lol. I'm sure I'll learn alot from the folks here and I've already been reading the forums for 2 days before posting, just couldn't take the time to stop drooling over some of the pics to stop and post !
    Last edited by David Crouse; 12-04-2011 at 03:22 AM. Reason: actually measured my garage lol... fixed the size in the post to be accurate.

Los Angeles, CA
    Hi David. Welcome aboard.
    Chinese Proverb: Man who eats many prunes gets good run for the money.

Reno NV
    Welcome aboard David! We've got a few geeks and wood workers hanging around here...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

North of Reno, NV...middle of the desert
    Welcome David, I think your story is not too different than most folks here. You will find it family if you hang around and get to know everyone more. We like to have a little fun too. And of course, pics are absolutely necessary to prove anything happened

Perhaps some before/after pics down the road of your new digs...

Amherst, New Hampshire
    Welcome David
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Plainwell, Michigan
    Great intro story David and welcome Look forward to your renewed love with woodworking. Do you still have the tool bench your dad made you?

Delton, Michigan
    hey dave we even got a few folks on here from your new state,, so dont feel alone we let them in to as for your shop build or setup goes be sure to start a thread on it the info here that can be given if asked for and sometimes even if it isnt asked for can make your new shop a pleasure rather than a sliver in the hand..there are many things that can help a shop go from regular to just right.. oh and dont buy a lathe and stay away from them ,,they make pretty things on them but they are deadly like the apple that adam ate
    Last edited by larry merlau; 12-03-2011 at 03:42 PM.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Lafayette, Indiana
    Welcome David. I look forward to gettin to know you.
    It's not what you achieve in life...It's what you overcome!

Thomasville, GA
    Welcome to the Family, David!
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

Billings Missouri near Springfield Mo
    Welcome David
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.