New here - from Iowa

david i would suggest you build a bench area on the side of your lumber rack like you show but incorporat your radial arm saw in it..it can work as a bench and be right in line for making your lumber to rough dimensions and would give you some free space on the other side where you now show it.. and you can incorparate your mitre saw above it or in it as well..

tn_saws.jpg

OK, no one has said it yet so I will toss it out there; your drawing doesn't show the primary tool every shop should have . . . a dust collector. Address this critical need sooner rather than later. I chose later and now have a sensitivity which I will carry for the rest of my life. I thought a 3 micron bag unit was good enough . . . I now have to wear a respirator, even when hand sanding.

The soapbox is now returned to the group for other's use :D.

I agree with Larry's RAS integration idea and kudos to you for stating your "RAS status" early on. Both groups are right but, the RAS seems to be one of those polarizing tools that one group thinks you 'cannot live without' while the other 'could care less'. On other forums, the RAS is right up there with Saw Stop and Festool as items to argue about endlessly. There are plenty of varying opinions here at FWW too. The wonderful difference here is that we all accept those things that are important to others as well as what others think about our preferences.

Your plan looks very workable but, what is that large rectangular tool in the middle of the floor labeled "truck". . . :rofl:

Last edited:
OK, no one has said it yet so I will toss it out there; your drawing doesn't show the primary tool every shop should have . . . a dust collector. Address this critical need sooner rather than later. I chose later and now have a sensitivity which I will carry for the rest of my life.
Amen! Even when my shop was our two-car garage down in Florida and I worked with the large door open most of the year, I added a 1.5hp DC to help control dust. After our move to Georgia, I built an addition to an existing shop building. Prior to having it dried in and secured, I was already working with Oneida on a layout for a 3hp DC and ducting. As soon as I could lock up the place, I ordered the DC and the first few pieces of duct. I didn't want to rush into running a bunch of duct only to decide on a different tool arrangement, so my initial use of the new DC was via two 4" flex hoses. As I solidified my tool layout, I added main duct and drops.

A good DC can be expensive, but it's worth it. One way I saved on my system was to get duct smaller than 6" from a local HVAC supplier. They don't stock the right kind of wyes, so I got those through Oneida. I also got the heavier gauge 7" and 6" duct through Oneida but it was only a few pieces, so the cost didn't hurt too much. The lighter gauge 5" and 4" duct has not been an issue on my system.