skype troubles..

larry merlau

does anyone have any ideas why my skype connection drops off during a conversation several times i have a combo mic and cam that is usb hook up and had only family wood working running at he time..

I've found some of those web cams can really eat up cpu. You might try setting your frames-per-second down a ways, as low as 5fps, to see if that helps. If it does, then ratchet it back up until you get an acceptable view on the camera. Skype gets finicky if it doesn't have the resources it needs from my experience. Could also be the version or latest update. Was it doing it before any updates?

We use it at least twice a week to talk to our daughter in Canada, and yeah, sometimes it just happens. We are both on Macs, I'm on an iMac and our daughter is on a MacBook, we are hardwired to the net, and she uses WiFi. Recently it has happened more, and it seems to be that if the phone rings at my parents house where our daughter lives, then the line drops, comes right back, but it is annoying. They recently changed ISPs, and we suspect that something is not set up right with the WiFi, but who knows.....?
Gremlins I tell yeah...... :doh:

well we just had a conference call and did go and get the latest updates,, and to stu's comment i have been seeing trouble with wireless in the house.. so maybe it a combination of things but i have updates and will try to see if it continues.. if it so then will contact my dsl provider.. darren how do i change the frames on a winbook mic-cam combo?

well we just had a conference call and did go and get the latest updates,, and to stu's comment i have been seeing trouble with wireless in the house.. so maybe it a combination of things but i have updates and will try to see if it continues.. if it so then will contact my dsl provider.. darren how do i change the frames on a winbook mic-cam combo?

Should either be an icon on your status bar for camera settings or an option for the camera settings from Skype. I'm away from the house today, so don't know the exact settings to look at

Darren

We use Microsoft Live. We don't have problems here at home but we are hardwired to the internet on this computer. Our youngest son has problems at his end and he is using wifi.......

Looks like the fps setting is specific to the camera. I have one that has it, but the other two don't have the setting.

If you've been using the same camera and started having the issue, then I'd say it's probably another issue, like the internet connection or software.

This Skype is too cool!
I've heard of it but never tried it. My son has had an account for a long time that he uses to talk to his friends. But my dad just went down to Florida for the next six months and he's been using it. I just set up an account for myself and it's pretty easy and seems to work pretty well. I noticed the Skype logos beneath some of your names here. So if you get a Skype request from jpollmanjr, that's me. I'd love to chat with some of you some time!

John

Larry, if you had a lathe this would not be a problem. Skype likes the vibes that a lathe produces. Seriously, the number of people on Skype at any one time will have a pronounced effect on the quality of the connection. I have no idea why but when it is over ten million the connection becomes iffy. Also, maybe I am just paranoid but I sometimes think that the telephone companies (especially in Asia) block things somehow. Also, when I use my webcam it always slows things down. You might turn the cam off when it is disconnecting.