Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: dado set NEW questions please

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia

dado set NEW questions please

Good Morning!

I'd like to get a first dado set. My (Bosch) saw has a 5/8" arbor and usually takes a 10" blade. The dado set I want comes with either 6" or 8" blades. Can I use either 6 or 8? The 6 is slightly cheaper....

thanks
    Last edited by Cynthia White; 12-07-2011 at 04:47 PM.
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

yes, you can use either size. Ive been using the 6 inch freud set for 4 years.
    Human Test Dummy

Cynthia get a six. For the height you will require above the table for most things six will be fine.
    I will admit to wasting my money on an eight.
    If you can get a Freud. They have a great adjusting setup so you can dial in fine changes easily with no shims.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
    cheers

Thanks Rob and Allen! I'll get right on it!
    AKA The Rookie

6" frued,, if they make the dial a width version in that size get it.. other wise the separate chippers with shims is fine
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Brooklin ON -- 45 mins. NE of Toronto, ON
    Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    6" frued,, if they make the dial a width version in that size get it.. other wise the separate chippers with shims is fine
    If you consider the Freud dial a width, be certain to check out the total length of your saw arbour.

The details below are taken from Freud Tools .com!
    1. Inside Arbor Flange DiameteróIf the inside arbor flange is under 2-1/2" diameter you are OK. If it is over that, the Dial-A-Width will not work on your machine.
    2. Arbor LengthóMeasure the length of the arbor on your machine and subtract the thickness of the arbor nut from that measurement. If what you have left is at least 1-3/32" then you can cut up to a 3/4" dado with your saw. If you have 1-3/16" or more then you can stack all the components on the arbor at one time. Still keep in mind that you must comply with maximums that the manufacturer of saw has for dadoes.
    3. Arbor Nut SizeóThe arbor nut wrench size can not be larger than 1-3/16" (30mm). The set includes a 7/8" wrench. If your arbor nut uses a wrench other than 7/8" (22mm), you will need to use a wrench other than the one that comes in the Dial-A-Width.
    Mack C. in Brooklin ON
    It feels great to sell a pen,
    It feels even greater to give one to a friend!

If your presence doesn't make an impact;
    Your absence won't make a difference!

I am a proud supporter of
    "Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers"!

I'll will admit to not wasting the money on an 8" (just funnin' Rob) as I take advantage of the additional depth of cut often on the types of pieces I make. I also dado on a sled more often than not. Many folks never make a dado more than 1/2" deep and a 6" will serve you fine for most casework. Your saw's manual will tell you the size of dado stack you can spin diameter-wise. The width is determined as Mack points out above. His example is for the Dail-a-Width but, the arbor concern applies to any stack; make sure you can fully engage the arbor nut (threads all the way through). I would think a 6" would be fine for your saw and you could use the money you save on size to buy a higher tooth count; the Freud SD-506 instead of the SD-206 for example.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 12-07-2011 at 11:36 PM. Reason: bad speller, bad, bad speller ;-)
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Unless you have the shaft length do not get the dial a width dado set from freud. I've used it on a delta unisaw and couldn't take advantage of it's full width of cut because the shaft isn't long enough.

I've got the $96 freud one you can get at the home depot or lowes and has served me well for many years.

Whether 6" or 8", make sure you get a round one. The square ones' will chatter real bad and give you tear out.
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you donít know what tool to buy next, then you probably donít need it yet.

Square ones, eh? I just went out and got the 6" freud. The other freud ones I saw were a FORTUNE. I'm sure I'll be back here before long asking how to put them together. anything special I should know or watch out for?

Thanks all,
    AKA The Rookie