dado set NEW questions please

Cynthia get a six. For the height you will require above the table for most things six will be fine.
I will admit to wasting my money on an eight.
If you can get a Freud. They have a great adjusting setup so you can dial in fine changes easily with no shims.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

6" frued,, if they make the dial a width version in that size get it.. other wise the separate chippers with shims is fine
If you consider the Freud dial a width, be certain to check out the total length of your saw arbour.

The details below are taken from Freud Tools .com!
  1. Inside Arbor Flange Diameter—If the inside arbor flange is under 2-1/2" diameter you are OK. If it is over that, the Dial-A-Width will not work on your machine.
  2. Arbor Length—Measure the length of the arbor on your machine and subtract the thickness of the arbor nut from that measurement. If what you have left is at least 1-3/32" then you can cut up to a 3/4" dado with your saw. If you have 1-3/16" or more then you can stack all the components on the arbor at one time. Still keep in mind that you must comply with maximums that the manufacturer of saw has for dadoes.
  3. Arbor Nut Size—The arbor nut wrench size can not be larger than 1-3/16" (30mm). The set includes a 7/8" wrench. If your arbor nut uses a wrench other than 7/8" (22mm), you will need to use a wrench other than the one that comes in the Dial-A-Width.

I'll will admit to not wasting the money on an 8" (just funnin' Rob) as I take advantage of the additional depth of cut often on the types of pieces I make. I also dado on a sled more often than not. Many folks never make a dado more than 1/2" deep and a 6" will serve you fine for most casework. Your saw's manual will tell you the size of dado stack you can spin diameter-wise. The width is determined as Mack points out above. His example is for the Dail-a-Width but, the arbor concern applies to any stack; make sure you can fully engage the arbor nut (threads all the way through). I would think a 6" would be fine for your saw and you could use the money you save on size to buy a higher tooth count; the Freud SD-506 instead of the SD-206 for example.

Last edited:
Unless you have the shaft length do not get the dial a width dado set from freud. I've used it on a delta unisaw and couldn't take advantage of it's full width of cut because the shaft isn't long enough.

I've got the $96 freud one you can get at the home depot or lowes and has served me well for many years.

yes, if you got the set with the shims, make sure you as you place each one on they are seated fine and the blade tips are not interfereing with the next one or first/last blade.
and before you cut anything, do alot of test cutting to get comfortable with them, and remember, just because youre cutting under the surface of the wood, does not mean you dont have to be super careful and WATCH YOUR HANDS at all times!!!! Never think the wood wont split while your pushing a piece through.

hey, cynthia, youre buying alot of equipment and you have a really well stocked lumber rack, whats up ?
You gonna bang out some woodworking soon?
Jump in, the waters fine.
The more I woodwork I dont necessarily get any better at woodworking, I just get a bit better at hiding my errors.

Last edited:
I lucked out a couple of years ago. HD had the 208 on closeout for about $42. Opened it to see all the parts, then put it back in the storage case. Already had a decent dado set but couldn't resist the deal at HD. :D

yes, if you got the set with the shims, make sure you as you place each one on they are seated fine and the blade tips are not interfereing with the next one or first/last blade.
and before you cut anything, do alot of test cutting to get comfortable with them, and remember, just because youre cutting under the surface of the wood, does not mean you dont have to be super careful and WATCH YOUR HANDS at all times!!!! Never think the wood wont split while your pushing a piece through.

hey, cynthia, youre buying alot of equipment and you have a really well stocked lumber rack, whats up ?
You gonna bang out some woodworking soon?
Jump in, the waters fine.
The more I woodwork I dont necessarily get any better at woodworking, I just get a bit better at hiding my errors.

Allen, I'll be really careful, I promise. I'm working at it, I'm working at it! I haven't posted any pictures because I don't have anything fantastic to show.....I'll start a build thread here pretty quick. Right now I'm redoing the jig I did last week. I'm tweaking it for better performance. I have a cross-cut sled that I'm redoing too. I like it and I need it, but it needs to be, well, better. :D I've got everything moved around and set up, and I'm in there every day. I don't want to bore you guys to death with my inching along...I bore you enough with the relentless questions. :rofl: :D

Today I found a new place that opened up in town. I stopped there on my way back from Dado Set shopping and I signed up for a beginner carving class and a beginner "welcome to the world of turning" class. They seemed nice there...just opened the store over the weekend.

Branching out into alot of areas of woodworking can prove to be very costly.
You are equipped to flatwork at this time, and have tons of boards, so just make sawdust. Dont worry about mistakes, dissapointing yourself, worried about what others think of your work. etc......
Learning how to turn or carve is great, but all of these things are costly, and it might be best to concentrate on one area at first, then branch out to see what really catches you.
Ive wasted alot of money on equipment and tools thinking I might want to go down a certain path.
And it isnt a money thing, I dont count anyones money. Its a shop thing.
The more stuff you buy, the more room you need. You cant buy a wall stretcher from woodcraft or rockler.
And I apologize if I sound like Im trying to give you advice. Just my thoughts out loud.

cynthia, mac and others gave you some good advice.. and most of all listen to allens wisdom.. he has been where you are now not long ago so its fresh in his mind so he can relay it you