Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: giving others the oppertunity

giving others the oppertunity

I posted this on the bow fourm I been involved with , thought I'd share a little about a group I started a couple of years ago.

talked it over with the guys in the group , well almost all of them and this looks promising to be a good deal for who it is intended to be for. Recently the past 2 years Jarrod and I have picked up some very good neighborhoods and 3 nice ones this year alone to hunt and have added 4 more hunters to our list. Now I am opening the hunts up to the handy cap because we have many properties that are wheel chair accessible plus offering the Wounded Warier the opportunity to get out and hunt. Each hunter is provided a personal guide to assist them in retrieving and dealing with the deer. Once the deer is taken in we bring them back to the shop and butcher it up for them.
    I have been giving hunting privileges to the servicemen for many years now, but now I feel a obligation to share in what the Lord has given me. So I give back to those who defend our freedom. Last year we took a wounded warier out who was shot in the back of the head and suffered greatly, He spent a year and a half at WR here in DC . I was asked if I would take him on a hunt and I agreed. The young man showed up and asked how many deer can I shot I asked him how many arrows to you have. Well that afternoon the Solder took 3 does home. We butchered them up and packed them for his trip home to Wisconsin. He said he it was the best time he has had in a long time. I was so moved by his story.
    I feel privileged to be able to offer these hunts.<br>CCWhitetail has offered to video hunts when he has the time and Jarrod is hounding me for a video camera so he can shoot the hunts also.* Help us make this work guys. If you know a hunter that could use a good hunt or a wounded warier who like to to get out for a hunt PM me and I will see about making this happen.*
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

Haven't those people been exposed to enough killing, suffering and pain. Why would they want to inflict the same on animals?

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 12-08-2011 at 11:23 PM.
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

LOL you make me laugh Mike thanks its been a long day. Mike its not about you or what you think but what others would like to do , what gives them pleasure. Sharing in a hunt and talking with likeinded hunters is what its all about , it a deer is taken that's a bonus .
    Last edited by Dave Hawksford; 12-07-2011 at 04:26 AM.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

I have been asked to edit my posts to better explain my position and to nuance my position. I'm going to try to do that here.

My basic argument consists of the following two parts: (I'll explain them more below)

1. One of the significant attractions of hunting is the exaltation of the kill, and,
    2. My belief is that killing an animal for that exaltation is immoral.

Let me expand:

Why do I believe that a significant attraction of hunting is the kill?

1. I have hunted in the past and I know how I reacted.
    2. I have spoken with many, many hunters who have described to me their reaction when they made a kill.
    3. This last reason is based just on logic. The cost of hunting is significant. If people just wanted to to obtain meat, there are many less expensive ways to do so. And if they just wanted to be in the the wild, there are many ways to do so without killing an animal. I conclude, therefore, that the killing of the animal is a significant part of the attraction of hunting.

Why do I believe that killing for that exaltation is immoral?
    I believe that life is sacred, both man and animal, and should only be taken when absolutely necessary. And when it is taken, it should be taken with regret - not joy.
    [Let me nuance this just a bit. I would not regret the execution of a murderer. But I would not take joy in the execution, either. I would regret the killing of a mountain lion who killed a hiker because the lion was just doing what lions do. So a better statement is that I'd regret the taking of any innocent life.]

Now, given that explanation, let me edit the rest of this post.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=
    There are many valid and reasonable reasons to kill an animal. Cattleman kill beef cows for meat. Poultry farmers kill chickens for food and because layers quit laying. A sick animal is put down to save it from terminal pain. A vicious dog is put down to prevent it from hurting other animals or people. I could go on and on.

The difference between those killings and hunting is that they are done by necessity. My objection to hunting is explained above.

If your pleasure really comes from being together with other people in the woods, please go hiking with a group of friends.

Mike

[It's ironic that wounded warriors would want to kill animals. You would think their wounds, and the suffering that resulted, would give them empathy, even for animals.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 12-09-2011 at 12:35 AM.
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Mike, give it a rest. Please.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    Mike, give it a rest. Please.
    Err, why are you asking me to give it a rest and not the other person? Is my position somewhat inferior? The whole idea is outrageous and repugnant.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 12-07-2011 at 05:14 AM.
    Ancora imparo

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Err, why are you asking me to give it a rest and not the other person? Is my position somewhat inferior?

Mike
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	index.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	597 Bytes 
ID:	63229

I think what your doing Dave is awesome, good on ya!

Dave,

Congratulations on a successful hunt and for helping out your fellow man.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Fantastic Dave. Thanks for giving back.

My gosh, here we go again

Dave. I think that's great. You have a big heart. Giving back to those that have sacrificed so much for our country is a great idea. I would love to see pictures of the smiles on their faces.
    Faith, Hope & Charity