Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cooking Venison

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia

Cooking Venison

Without inciting a political discussion, I'd like to know how the hunters here cook venison. I've very rarely had it when it didn't have a strong gamey (unpleasant) taste. So how do you cook it? I'm not a hunter, but I know I can get it *cheap*.
    Last edited by Cynthia White; 12-07-2011 at 12:50 PM. Reason: spelling
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

Old school way: Canning NO WILD TASTE.

Cut meat into 3/4 chunks. Use no tallow/ anything with a white color. All you want is pure red meat. Now, brown the meat to cook out all the blood. Get you some jars and place the cooked meat on those jars. Add a touch of salt and pepper, fill jar to top of neck with water. Pressure cook at 15 lbs for 50 minutes. Set on shelf and open and enjoy at later date when you are hungry. Add a little corn starch to make some gravy. Yum, yum.
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you donít know what tool to buy next, then you probably donít need it yet.

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    2 questions, Steve. When you brown it, you don't add any fat? And does it have to be pressure cooked? Can you do it in a canner with the jars in boiling water?
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

ask tom, he knows how to cook it and eat it i cook it like beef, have had it canned and thats good too. the key is to not over cook it,, it get dry fast i use olive oil for frying or grill it.. the first thing to cause bad taste in wild game is the way it was taken care of proir..to the stove or the frezer..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

No fat when you brown it, belief is that is where the game taste comes from. Yes pressure cooked.
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you donít know what tool to buy next, then you probably donít need it yet.

I read a story once about a man that bestowed the taste of his beef over venison. The hunter stated something like, let it get chased, eventually shot, gutted and drug through the woods, hung and eventually processed and see how your beef tastes then. There is so much merit to the taste coming from the handling of the deer once it is down. Food the deer fed on also contributes greatly to the taste. Deer from the North tasted piney/minty from eating pine trees. Our deer around hear are fat from eating the best corn they can find. We grind ours with pork to make sausage, we cut ours into roasts and use them in the crock pot with veggies, we grill the loins (cut butterfly style) on the grill. We don't grind and make hamburgers per say. We grind a lot and use it in meatloaf, chili, spaghetti and those types of dishes. Venison generally lacks the fat content to hold it in a patty form to eat as a hamburger. With all of that said. as Larry stated, it burns easily due to being so lean. Keep water or oil in the pan to keep it from sticking/burning and no, it doesn't taste like chicken!!!
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

I've been cook, grilling , crock potting and frying venison for 30 years.
    I like the stew in a crock pot but I love grilling. The deer we got are feed the best food back yard high end nursery stock. LOL
    For grill'en I cut 1" thick slices mix up a sauce 1/3rd virgin olive oil and 2/3rd BBQ sauce and bast it as it cooks. Venison cooks fast maybe 4=5 minutes on one side and 3-4 minutes on the other.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    As already mentioned...proper field care is key to eliminating that gamey taste. Another thing I've found is aging helps. Like beef, if you can regulate the temperature, letting the meat age for 5-7 days breaks-down/releases the blood thoroughly, and IMO, immensely helps in the flavor dept. If you come across some gamey venison, do try the canning method..sure to please most anyone....marinades can work wonders as well in a pinch...when I was a kid, Dad & Grandpa used to soak it overnight in milk.

the milk trick works wonders on old fish as well..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I usually like venison but my SIL shot a big buck last year and gave me some meat. I had to throw it out because it was the worst thing I ever ate. No matter how we cooked it it tasted way too gamey. Either it was a real old buck or it was not cared for properly in the field I guess
    Faith, Hope & Charity