Looking for non-skid material

Matt Ducar

I'm looking for a source for rubberized black non-skid material -- the kind of stuff you find on those bench cookies sold by Rocker. Anyone know of a good source? The stuff I found by googling were way too expensive.

You might also look for a gasket manufacturer close to you. I took a wood carving class a while back. A guy brought us some punch outs from some foam rubber used for gaskets where he worked. They were throwing them away, so might find one willing to give you some.

I've been thinking about making some of my own using that foam type shelf liner (From just about anywhere) and a little spray adhesive.

I also use it as a pad for when I do ROS sanding on my bench and several other things...

I'd think Walmart has it, but certaily BBB does.

This is the kind of stuff I'm talking about.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=127376

I've got it in black for the shop...

Last edited:
I wore out a few with the shelf liner stuff on them. Wore through carpet liner as well. That stuff isn't designed for lateral forces but it is nice and grippy for light use. You could ROS sand something setting on it but, routing or hand planing? Not for long; DAMHIKT ;-) The stuff from Peachtree and Lee Valley has held up without failure to date. I do use a large piece of the carpet liner (like the shelf liner but scaled up a bit) as a bench pad and it does well for that.

Last edited:
Matt,
I should've mentioned that, since you said you were looking for the sort of stuff that's on the bench cookies, the stuff at Lee Valley is exactly the same as that.

Much of the other stuff that's been recommended so far is variants of that sorta 'mesh' shelf liner stuff that's sometimnes used for router pads.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone :thumb:

Too bad LV isn't closer. The cost of shipping is almost as much as the item itself. Maybe I just need to justify buying more stuff so the shipping is a lower % of the order :D

Thanks for the suggestions everyone :thumb:

Too bad LV isn't closer. The cost of shipping is almost as much as the item itself. Maybe I just need to justify buying more stuff so the shipping is a lower % of the order :D

That's one of the reasons I go to the shows when Lee Valley is there; the money I save on shipping by ordering at the show pays for my entrance fee. The rest is gravy ;-)