Thanksgiving Vacation cut short by RV accident

Garry Foster

My wife and I were on a extended RV trip going from Pa to visit family in Missouri. We were then going to go south and follow the gulf to Florida then across Florida to see my daughter in Cocoa, Fl. for thanksgiving. Well the part to Missouri went great and we had a great visit with family there. Went through Arkansas and thought of Frank. Spent a night and day around Hot Springs National Park. Did you know there are some real twisty roads just north of there. Stayed Sunday Night just west of the Mississippi River so we could cross in daylight. Monday morning we crossed the Mississippi and filled up the RV with gas, then got on Hwy 49 headed for I10 and our turn East. Drove about 50 miles and wham a Green GMC Suburban hit the driver side of the RV at a cross road. Only saw it for an instant before it hit and she never saw us or touched her brakes. We spun three full times before getting stopped. I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get the RV headed down the highway and straighten out the spins until I got out and looked at the the rear axle. This all happened right at the Silver City Post office. My wife, my dog nor were hurt and never even had a sore muscle out of the deal. But I was yelling for her to get the dog and get out almost before we got stopped as the SUV hit right at the propane tank. Never sprung a leak even though the propane tank was hit ans the furnace was tore up bad. We were 1100 miles from home, 900 miles from our daughter and 800 miles from our son. 60 miles or so from a rental car it turned out. 1100 mile rental cars one way get expensive but we made it home by 12:30 midnight and the wife had a turkey in the oven by 1:00 AM so we had a lot to be thankful Thanksgiving day....

Pictures at
https://picasaweb.google.com/gmfost...authkey=Gv1sRgCJ7pv96g1PuPswE&feat=directlink

Hearing about Mark brought home again how lucky we were. The Lady that hit us was taken to the Jackson, MS hospital but ended up not being hurt seriously.
Now if we could get the insurance company to start making offers....

Garry

Last edited:
That's no way to spend Thanksgiving. I'm glad you and your wife are OK.

What excuse did the other driver give? Hope all works out with the insurance companies.

...Now if we could get the insurance company to start making offers....

Garry

Get them to reimburse you for the rental car and hotels, too. Were it me, I'd get my own insurance company involved, and let them do the arguing with the other person's company.

Great that you weren't hurt! That could have been a real catastrophe!

Glad to hear no one was seriously hurt, hope it all gets worked out with the insurance companies quickly. I'd agree with Jim, they should be covering all of your costs including those.

Bill
She never saw us. She had a stop sign then 2 lanes of north bound traffic a largish median and across the passing lane to us in the slow lane. I saw her as she crossed the median and was headed for us. I can't say but doubt she ever stopped at the stop sign. When we first got out she was yelling at me for hitting her so I am sure she never saw us. According to her insurance she now admits fault but they are sure moving slow and the RV is about 1100 road miles from us. They have towed it to Jackson, Ms. so I hope they are on the level. We have State Farm and the local agent in Belzoni were terrific at helping us out and hauling us around until we got headed home. However the State Farm claims people haven't been as helpful. Not bad just not aggressive in trying to help out or so it seems. It will have been 3 weeks Monday.

Holy cow! Hate to say what a lucky break, but that could have been so much worse!

Was she driving with her eyes closed?!?!

So glad no one was hurt, but boy what a way to ruin a trip...

Man, what a holiday to remember!!!! Which insurance company is the lady with? Have you looked up the RV forums to see if anyone in that area knows the best place for RV work? Not sure I'd trust it to someone who didn't do big rig type repairs. Jim.

glad no one was hurt as well.. you just cant fathom how someone doesnt see these rv's? just like the guy that hit us on the tour.. nothing in comparison to yours though.. i also say to get all the costs figured in.. and the forum idea is a good one.. as is the the insurance your covered with..