Brent's New Flatbed - Details Coming

So Brent went to look at a Craig's List trailer offered at $1.2k (you know, to haul that tractor he hasn't bought yet :rofl::rofl:).

It was stolen, the owner found it 6 years later, ya-da-ya-da. He offered 1K and the guy didn't bite, so I'm proud of him for walking away.

Next thing, I see his GPS location at "Steamboat Trailers" :eek::eek::eek: And it didn't budge from there for over 40 minutes.

Needless to say, Brent will be posting pictures of his new trailer in about an hour :thumb::thumb::thumb::rofl::woohoo::bounce::bounce::highfive:

So Brent went to look at a Craig's List trailer offered at $1.2k (you know, to haul that tractor he hasn't bought yet :rofl::rofl:).

It was stolen, the owner found it 6 years later, ya-da-ya-da. He offered 1K and the guy didn't bite, so I'm proud of him for walking away.

Next thing, I see his GPS location at "Steamboat Trailers" :eek::eek::eek: And it didn't budge from there for over 40 minutes.

Needless to say, Brent will be posting pictures of his new trailer in about an hour :thumb::thumb::thumb::rofl::woohoo::bounce::bounce::highfive:

wow i thought that when i had one of those electronic tethers on that i was hooked up tight but you got him worse than that i just had to be near the home phone..:)

Yeah, the guy from Craigslist actually did me a favor by not taking my offer...

You see my plan is:
1) Buy Used Trailer on Craigslist (Kind of failed on the Used part).
2) Buy User Tractor on Craigslist.
3) Use Trailer to get the Tractor.
4) clean up the driveway!

So practical don't you think?

But seriously, a tractor will come in handy for cleaning up the brush, enlarging the firebreak, and doing some major landscaping projects we have scheduled.

The trailer will come in handy for moving stuff like the chevy and the tractor, and for hauling major amounts of brush and stuff away. Perhaps we'll even use it to go collect some of our own firewood.

So The guy on CL did me a favor by staying firm. For only 10 more 100$ bills, I got a brand new trailer that should work out pretty well.

It'll carry 5300 pounds, which is a few thousand more than the 46' Chevy weighs and the class of compact utility tractor I'm looking at.

And It all works out even better than that. Sharon said she's going to buy it for my Christmas present :thumb:

I don't care what you guys say about her, she's a damn fine woman... :thumb:

Now if anyone has any tips on what kind of hold downs to get to secure the car and/or tractor to the trailer, I'm listening...

FWW-4841.jpg

Yeah, the guy from Craigslist actually did me a favor by not taking my offer...

You see my plan is:
1) Buy Used Trailer on Craigslist (Kind of failed on the Used part).
2) Buy User Tractor on Craigslist.
3) Use Trailer to get the Tractor.
4) clean up the driveway!

So practical don't you think?

My plan would have been:

1) Buy Used Tractor on Craigslist
2) Rent or Borrow Trailer to get Tractor

This way I saved the price of a trailer because once the tractor arrives home why would I need the trailer... unless you just wanted a trailer.:D

It is a nice looking trailer.

There you go, being all logical and "common sense'y" Bill! :rofl:

With the distance to town to rent something, and considering all the open space I have, having a trailer kind of makes sense.

I've got the Chevy that needs some work done, so the trailer will be useful there.
The tractor may or may not need to be taken in for repairs occasionally.
We've got a rather large scale landscaping project coming up that will need quite a lot of heavy materials.

I figure I'll only need to use it about 50 times in order for it to make financial sense...:rolleyes:

Yeah, I guess I just kind of wanted it... :thumb:

There you go, being all logical and "common sense'y" Bill! :rofl:

With the distance to town to rent something, and considering all the open space I have, having a trailer kind of makes sense.

I've got the Chevy that needs some work done, so the trailer will be useful there.
The tractor may or may not need to be taken in for repairs occasionally.
We've got a rather large scale landscaping project coming up that will need quite a lot of heavy materials.

I figure I'll only need to use it about 50 times in order for it to make financial sense...:rolleyes:

Yeah, I guess I just kind of wanted it... :thumb:

Besides, what else was I going to get him for Christmas?

Well ya need to invest in some chains and binders.(I like the ratchet ones) And some of the big ratchet straps for some of the other stuff you manages to get on said trailer. Oh and don't forget to get forks for the tractor.:thumb: Might even say you should look at a skid steer in stead of a tractor. :thumb:

Things a man should know about tractors.
Compact tractors will not lift a pallet of paving bricks.
Skid steers will.
Compact tractors will not lift 1000 Bf of lumber off that trailer.
A skid steer will.
Compact tractors will not dig very well.
Skid steers dig better but still not an excavator.
Most back hows for compact tractors will break the tractor.
Skid steers not so easily.
While one can grade with a compact tractor one can do it better with a skid steer and if it's one with tracks even better.
Do ya see where this is going Brent.:thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Oh one more thing almost every attachment you would get for a compact tractor is made to fit a skid steer and will work better.

http://www.mustangmfg.com/products/TrackLoaders.aspx

Last edited:
Very interesting....

I'm still in the shopping mode for that... Need to add another category to my craigslist searches, I'm thinking...

Thanks Chuck!

Things a man should know about tractors.
Compact tractors will not lift a pallet of paving bricks.
Skid steers will.
Compact tractors will not lift 1000 Bf of lumber off that trailer.
A skid steer will.
Compact tractors will not dig very well.
Skid steers dig better but still not an excavator.
Most back hows for compact tractors will break the tractor.
Skid steers not so easily.
While one can grade with a compact tractor one can do it better with a skid steer and if it's one with tracks even better.
Do ya see where this is going Brent.:thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Oh one more thing almost every attachment you would get for a compact tractor is made to fit a skid steer and will work better.

http://www.mustangmfg.com/products/TrackLoaders.aspx

... I figure I'll only need to use it about 50 times in order for it to make financial sense...:rolleyes:

Along that line: After pricing all of the other options - PODS, moving company, etc, we bought a 12' enclosed V-nose trailer (13' into the V) to make our move from Florida. It cost $2400 new. Made the move in six trips with the trailer packed to the gills and the pickup fully loaded. Also used it to pick up and store materials for my shop addition and the mower shack. Sold it last year for $1800. Discounting the other uses, the move cost us $600 - a small percentage of what it could have been! :)

Along that line: After pricing all of the other options - PODS, moving company, etc, we bought a 12' enclosed V-nose trailer (13' into the V) to make our move from Florida. It cost $2400 new. Made the move in six trips with the trailer packed to the gills and the pickup fully loaded. Also used it to pick up and store materials for my shop addition and the mower shack. Sold it last year for $1800. Discounting the other uses, the move cost us $600 - a small percentage of what it could have been! :)

Brilliant! And to think I forgot to include the residual value of the trailer into my cost estimates! And to think I was once forced into taking accounting classes in college!

Get a skid steer. Compact tractors are way to pricey for what you get. everybody wants one, so demand has driven the price up. There is nothing a skid steer can't do, with a little yankee know how. You can weld, so you can make attachments to fit. We have made a few things work on ours. Make so you get one with hyd hookups on the front arms. Ever seen a woodsplitter mounted to a skid steer? Yep, come over and I will show you.

Almost forgot, make you some D rings for attachment points on the trailer.

Last edited:
Way to go Brent. Looks like the dogs approve.

Thinking aloud, first thing i would be looking to add would be some removable hinged drop down sides and tailgate.

You mention moving materials well in fall i rented a large trailer like that to bring stone to my yard for paving.

Sides were a must to keep loose material from going astray. Properly done with a round bar over the top of the side could make good places to tie down all sorts to trailer. Perhaps a call to trailer place would help, bet they could add removable sides for a few extra $$ afterall a Xmas present should be complete no?
You wouldnt buy Sharon only one shoe of a pair would you.

Oh Shaaaarooon some nice heavy duty tie downs would be nice addition too. The ratcheting types. :):);)

All the best with it Brent. Trailer is a handy tool inmho.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk