I have been bad, but it is all Steve Southwood's fault!

Bill Satko

On Steve's last rust hunting thread, I mentioned that I was going to look at a suitcase full of wood planes that was offered up for sale in Craiglist. Steve being reluctant to find any woodies for me; no doubt due to some undue pressure from the Michigan mafiosa tool boss who he would have to cut in on the action; I felt compelled to make a deal.

Now I have severe buyer remorse. What have I done!

There a two without blades (small beader? and the dado plane) and a couple that need some loving care. Also included was a small saw vise I did not need, but it clamps very well. It was an all or nothing deal. I see some time spent cleaning and sharpening will be needed. The owners name is on them with the date of 1943. I will post more pictures and probably some questions as I do a more complete inventory.

Wood Planes00001.jpgWood Planes00002.jpgWood Planes00003.jpgWood Planes00004.jpgWood Planes00005.jpgWood Planes00006.jpgWood Planes00007.jpg

that wasnt a house set,, you got part of what you were looking for..i would like to just see a set stashed somewhere in the chest of some old timer long deceased.. well done master:)

that wasnt a house set,, you got part of what you were looking for..i would like to just see a set stashed somewhere in the chest of some old timer long deceased.. well done master:)

Yes, you are right the complete hollows and rounds are not there, but they were at one time. The owner had lightly scribbled 6 of 36 on one of the rounds, so I knew he bought a complete set. There are a lot of different planes there and it will take me some time to identify what is there. But as you suggest it is a start.

You are not the only one that would like to see a complete chest of woodies that have been stashed away in some attic. Now, that would be a find!

Looks like good pickins there. I think ol' Tom can handle it. Bid high on the first one that comes up, and most people should back down. Should be able to get the rest reasonable.

Bill you dun very good from what i see. Hey Steve send him a bill for your commission. Warn him in the process just what the Michigan tool mafioso does to guys that dont pay up.

Bill i see you been holding out on us with that give away bench pic;) Or did you hide a build thread here somewhere not to be seen by us? Looks to me you gone all hinglish on us??? My ancestors would be happy not sure Schwartz would be :)

You going to put a vise of sorts on the bench? dont see one or you hiding that too?

So were the planes your equivalent of Brents trailer:);) or have you kept them hidden from the boss to open Christmas morn as a sprise gift from your wife. :)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Just for those who were dubious about you being a neander woodworker, here is the proof. Now you must throw away your router Bill, ( or pass it to me;)).

However that great looking bench seems to a have little use...:p

Bill i see you been holding out on us with that give away bench pic;) Or did you hide a build thread here somewhere not to be seen by us? Looks to me you gone all hinglish on us??? My ancestors would be happy not sure Schwartz would be :)

Yes, I admit to holding out, but I have thrown out plenty of give away shots lately. I will probably do a thread on it when I finish, which is soon if I can keep my focus on it. I went into this bench design with my eyes wide open. I have Chris's book on workbenches and believe that I understand the pro and cons of the various bench designs. I plan on building several benches, as I believe one bench can not perform all functions perfectly. Time will tell what limitations this design has for me. As much as I respect Chris Schwartz, especially after spending a week with him this past fall, I am a little concern with this rabid following he has generated that takes everything he says as gospel. I am not suggesting you are Rob, as I know you were making a joke. I have followed Chris's writings for quite a while and like everyone his views on things have evolved, so it amazes me that people instantly see what he has to say on any subject as the ultimate "truth". I have had the privileged to spend time with many other well known woodworkers, one of them I would consider having master status, and the one thing I understand from that experience is there is no single true path in woodworking knowledge and that I need to find the way that works for me. I believe Chris would agree with what I have said.

You going to put a vise of sorts on the bench? dont see one or you hiding that too?

Oh yes, it will have a face vise and I was suppose to continue work on the chop yesterday, but as this thread shows I got side tracked. It is going to be a great vise and I can't wait to complete it and show it off. I also have to build the lower shelf for the bench. I got some more pine that I need for that yesterday. I plan on using my tongue and groove plane for the planks. It should be fun.

So were the planes your equivalent of Brents trailer:);) or have you kept them hidden from the boss to open Christmas morn as a sprise gift from your wife. :)

Actually a birthday gift as she is not buying that it might possibly fall under the "tools needed for the house" category. Hey, it worked for many of the other tools and I thought I would give it shot.

Bill it looks like you got some good ones there. Those should be fun to get all cleaned up and working again.

Thanks Tom, I can't wait to get one of them making some shavings. I am not a collector, but a user. Good luck on your hunt.

Just for those who were dubious about you being a neander woodworker, here is the proof. Now you must throw away your router Bill, ( or pass it to me;)).

However that great looking bench seems to a have little use...:p

Well come and get it Toni, it is waiting for you!;) I have four of them and I hardly use them. I hate the noise.

Steve, does that strategy really work, or are you kidding?

I have had it work several times. When i was going to a lot last year, I would have the auctioneer start with a plane or two. I might give a start of $10 on a little rusty block plane. if you look at all you brought home as one unit at one price, it generally works. If I ever got stuck with that one high item, well lesson learned.

After my shoulder surgery last fall, I went to an auction, 3 days later. Everybody could tell I was hurting. Guy ask what I was there for. I said those 2 boxes of braces and bits. He lumped all of them together for me and I started it at 35. I got them for 50. Ended up being 3 boxes. I helps to polite and get to know the folks running the show.

I just had to know, so I selected one of the hollows, cleaned it up, sharpened the blade and gave it go.
Wood Planes0022#.jpgWood Planes0012#.jpgWood Planes0032#.jpgWood Planes0042#.jpg

I guess I better make those airplane reservations for the Midwest. They only have to be one way as I will be driving a U-Haul back. I gotta have more. The Michigan Godfather better watch out, because someone is going to be muscling in on his territory.

And Rob, the pictures just show that the old English style bench with an large apron has some distinct advantages. A vise would be better and of course a sticking board works the best for most situations, but when you have neither for the moment, the apron and the holdfasts worked just fine.

Thanks Larry!

From cleaning up this one hollow, I found out that the planes were made by Ohio Tool Co. I done a little investigation and found out that that they made both wood and iron planes. I found a reprint of their 1910 catalog and ordered it, which should aid me in identifying the various planes. I believe that some of the marks on the plane are the model numbers.

Also scribed on each plane is the name Allen Moser and the date 1-07-43. According to the guy I bought the planes from, Allen Moser is the uncle or great uncle (I can't remember which) of his wife and he was a bit of a machinist, woodworker and much more. It is strange, but I want to know more about this guy now that I am handling his planes. I am thinking of calling the guy I bought them from and asking for more information on Allen Moser.

What do all of you think, am I crazy to wonder about this guy? I feel some strange kinship with him and a strong obligation to take good care of his tools. All I know is, when January 7th rolls around this year, I will be thinking back to 1943 when Allen Moser marked these tools.