Security software Recommendations

We'll be getting a new desktop shortly and I was wondering what security software you would recommend? It'll be a windows 7 system if that matters. Is having different programs for viruses, firewall, etc. better, or having a suite that has them all the way to go? I know that you can get AVG virus free, zoneAlarm firewall free, etc. is this the way to go?

Thanks

John my vote is for Eset company. http://www.eset.com/us/

Been using their stuff for a few years now and not had issues. It even keeps me making sure to do my updates for windows and takes over from windows firewall.

Real cool thing is the price is very reasonable. I am face with maintaining 4 computers in our house and these guys allow you to buy multi year bundles on line that come out to very reasonable amounts per machine per year.

If you decide to go with them do some searching for a deal. Some resellers of their stuff get support from them for real good deals.
Btw this does my email as well as all the rest.
The big bonus about this software is the overhead. it dont slow your machine down like some of the others that spend more on marketing than on software developing

Never had a thing this package did not catch. And with two young males in the house says it all:)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

It really depends on what your surfing habits are IMO. Kaspersky is one of the finest and what I use because other people use my computer. If all you are doing is E-mail and This website among others then MIcrosoft Security Essentials is free and traps most stuff.

Right in the middle is AVG. Again free software along with their "Game booster and Anti malware" AVG's free utility has other benefits such as clean up, defrag, registry cleaning among other things.

Again it really depends on your habits

Over the years I used or tried most of the security programs available, including some of the 'paid' versions. Most of them left something to be desired and were dropped in time, but then Microsoft came out with their paid(now free) security suite and it's been in use on all of our PC's ever since.

When the MS program first came out it was $50 a year and could be placed on 3 PC's at that price, but then 2-3 years back they dropped the paid program and offered a new and better one for free. It covers most all types of problems, anti-virus, firewall, .ect and we've had no issues with it.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/security-essentials

I like the suite versions for the simplicity of having it all in one place. I've been using iolo's System Mechanic professional for years and very happy with the results, and as Dom mentioned...the utilities offered....iolo & kaspersky used to be tied together, but I've not noticed any degrading since the split-up...just my 2 cents worth.

Ken......got a question on how invasive Iolo is on your system. When you start task manager and see the Iolo programs running, how much memory is it using? Thats is one problem I have with Kaspersky is that it is little memory intense.

Also, to the original question, even with the Microsoft suite, I would still get Easy Cleaner (Free) at Majorgeeks, and back up to an external hard drive at least once a month if the puter is used heavily. Externals at Newegg are ridiculously cheap.

Sorry for the hijack :)

Dom, it does eat resources for breakfast but not nearly as much as other suites... I don't find it slowing though, maybe because, if I'm using other programs, such as when I'm editing audio or video I'm not 'on-line' and I close the suite...hard to really say though, I'm still using a 2002 machine and it labors way harder than I do :dunno: LOL

Gotcha. I am running about 8GD DDR so it shouldn't hit me too bad. Thanks for the info....as to this thread......it is REALLY important to know this info about how much memory the program uses and match it to what you have presently installed. Programs like Kaspersky, (and now Iolo) seem to use a lot of memory, so again tailor the program you use to your computer. And by the way the Free Microsoft suite uses hardly anything.....you puter wont even know it is there

I have used PC Tools Spyware/Antivirus for years. With the one license you can use it on 3 computers. If you google for a discount code you can usually get it for $30.

I have found that while the free software works, stuff still gets past them. When you're paying for a product they work harder to keep their customers happy..

Cheers,

Last edited:
I used to use kaspersky and had some problems.

I now use (all 3 are free) Avast internet security, malwarebytes, and spybot. I will never use Internet explorer again. I had so many issues with viruses. I use Mozilla Firefox and along with the 3 free programs I have not had any issues for 3 close to years.