Today would have been ....

my grandfather's 100th birthday. Stomach cancer got him in '99. He had just had bypass surgery and the doc told him he didn't see any reason he shouldn't reach 100. A year later he was gone.

He was one of the greatest men I ever knew. He was loving, kind, and patient beyond belief. He was the pastor of the church I grew up in for 30 years. He was the youngest of 13 kids. He went in the coal mines to work when he was 14 and was a miner for over 40 years. He got his high school diploma in his late 20s through night school. He never said it, but he would have loved to have gone on to college. He always encouraged education and is the only reason I attended my graduation from college. I think he was more excited than me. He was one of the smartest, most level headed men I have ever known. He was an author of two books about the Bible and he also composed music. His knowledge of the Bible was amazing. He could quote a verse pertaining to any situation. He was married to my grandmother for more than 60 years. That in and of itself was a feat. She could be trying to put it nicely!:D She was one of those beat first and ask second types. I guess with 4 boys of her own (7 total) and about 10 grandsons that's what you had to do.:D

As I take my journey through life and am faced with the situations that we all face, I often think what would paw have done. He taught me how to be a man, how to treat people, and how to love your family.

Thanks for letting me share.

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing. I have not yet met you face to face, but our online discussions and pms, your Grandfather's example shines through thru you. Are your Grandfather's books still available?

Oh and Happy Birthday John's Paw!!!!!! We know where you are!