Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about e-readers. Anybody here use one?

Question Question about e-readers. Anybody here use one?

Hi folks!

I was wondering if anyone here uses an e-reader. My wife reads CONSTANTLY and goes to the library quite frequently to pick up a new book. She goes through them like crazy. Due to circumstances around here Christmas is going to be very slim this year. I just realized that I've got a lot of points built up on my Sony Card that I could use for gifts. I haven't redeemed them in a long time and I have enough points to get her a Sony e-reader. I realize that technically wouldn't be "free" because I had to spend money to get the points but I could get here a nice gift without laying out any cash.

Do any of you use an e-reader? If so, how do you like it?

I know that it's getting late, but I think I can still get it in time if I order it today. Thank you very much for any input.

Have a great holiday season all!

John
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

My wife and I both have Kobo readers. They were formerly sold by Borders (now defunct), and are now supported by Barnes & Noble, although B&N sells their own "Nook" brand of reader.

I've had my reader for over a year now, and have yet to buy a book for it. My local library has literally thousands of books in e-format, and I generally read several books a month from them.

For library lending, you'll need a reader capable of reading Adobe EPub format, or else Amazon's Kindle. The Sony Reader does support EPub, and I'm sure your wife would love one.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Thanks Jim!

Just placed the order. I'm pretty sure that I should receive it by late next week. I think it's something she'll use a lot!

Take care.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    LOML loves her Kindle
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

I ended up buying an Android tablet, and I love reading on it. A lot easier (and smaller) to manage than carrying around a library full of books.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

John,

I use mine every day. And there are *tons* of free books out there. The gutenberg project, google books... seriously, one could go several lifetimes worth of reading without ever having to buy a book again. No worries about format, either: this program will convert just about any ebook format to any other format. It's a golden age for readers!

Thanks,

Bill

Thanks Bill!

I'll have to check that out. I don't read much but as I said, my wife does. She reads DAILY! I think she's really going to enjoy it.

KIndle here.....Broke after 6 months and Amazon replaced it free......Lord I love Amazon. Books are pretty cheap as well
    Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsmen can hide his mistakes!

The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; probably because they are generally the same people.

My Android phone came preloaded with the Kindle software I have been having a field day getting books from my local library online and just downloading them. Its great because I am on the road so much I only have to carry one piece of equipment. And the backlit display makes it so much easier on the eyes!
    He who laughs last, thinks slowest

My iPhone had a limited selection of some free classic books in it. I loved reading them. Handy to be able to carry reading material with me.
    I would like to have a Kindle. (NOTE: the new Kindle Fire is getting bad reviews)
    My son and wife purchased Kindles for the grands. I thought this was an extravagance but those kids are smart and voracious readers, using the Kindles have actually proven to be money savers. They carried them around the world. I am of the opinion e-readers are the new books. Paper won't vanish, but the world as we knew it, it is a-changing.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire