Question about e-readers. Anybody here use one?

John Pollman

Hi folks!

I was wondering if anyone here uses an e-reader. My wife reads CONSTANTLY and goes to the library quite frequently to pick up a new book. She goes through them like crazy. Due to circumstances around here Christmas is going to be very slim this year. I just realized that I've got a lot of points built up on my Sony Card that I could use for gifts. I haven't redeemed them in a long time and I have enough points to get her a Sony e-reader. I realize that technically wouldn't be "free" because I had to spend money to get the points but I could get here a nice gift without laying out any cash.

Do any of you use an e-reader? If so, how do you like it?

I know that it's getting late, but I think I can still get it in time if I order it today. Thank you very much for any input.

Have a great holiday season all!

John

My wife and I both have Kobo readers. They were formerly sold by Borders (now defunct), and are now supported by Barnes & Noble, although B&N sells their own "Nook" brand of reader.

I've had my reader for over a year now, and have yet to buy a book for it. My local library has literally thousands of books in e-format, and I generally read several books a month from them.

For library lending, you'll need a reader capable of reading Adobe EPub format, or else Amazon's Kindle. The Sony Reader does support EPub, and I'm sure your wife would love one.

I ended up buying an Android tablet, and I love reading on it. A lot easier (and smaller) to manage than carrying around a library full of books.

John,

I use mine every day. And there are *tons* of free books out there. The gutenberg project, google books... seriously, one could go several lifetimes worth of reading without ever having to buy a book again. No worries about format, either: this program will convert just about any ebook format to any other format. It's a golden age for readers! ;)

Thanks,

Bill

KIndle here.....Broke after 6 months and Amazon replaced it free......Lord I love Amazon. Books are pretty cheap as well

My Android phone came preloaded with the Kindle software I have been having a field day getting books from my local library online and just downloading them. Its great because I am on the road so much I only have to carry one piece of equipment. And the backlit display makes it so much easier on the eyes!

My iPhone had a limited selection of some free classic books in it. I loved reading them. Handy to be able to carry reading material with me.
I would like to have a Kindle. (NOTE: the new Kindle Fire is getting bad reviews)
My son and wife purchased Kindles for the grands. I thought this was an extravagance but those kids are smart and voracious readers, using the Kindles have actually proven to be money savers. They carried them around the world. I am of the opinion e-readers are the new books. Paper won't vanish, but the world as we knew it, it is a-changing.

I will add my story. When I finished writing my book I wanted to convert it into an E-book format. Not having a tablet I did some research and discovered a few apps for the phone. After a little research I downloaded Aldiko software. It can read most any format of eBook so I could try different versions with it. So I created my book and used my phone to test it and forgot about it.

Bored one day I was playing with the phone and was looking at my book. I saw a couple of books that had come with the software and started reading. It reminded me how much I enjoyed reading. I started looking and discovered they had a lot of free stuff available. Since then I have become an avid reader again. I LOVE having this on my phone! Much more than I would have ever expected. I don't like reading books on the computer so I assumed I would feel the same about the phone. But not so!

My favorite part is it is always there, I can read while waiting anywhere. Doctors office, in the restaurant waiting on food, sitting at a house waiting on client to show up. Unless I just forget it, my phone is always with me.

I have not started to dig into what all is available outside the Aldiko data base yet, but I do know there is more free books out there than you can imaging and even paid books are most times very cheap. If you have a smart phone you should consider trying it since it is free.

Last edited: