Worth of some used machines for sale ??

Dan Mosley

A friend I know sent me a email of machines he is getting rid of and told me to make him a reasonable offer on any the items I wanted including some wood he had. He wants to tone down his woodworking but the harder part is I do not know much about what any of them are worth. The one item I would be interested in is the Delta wood bowl lathe -24" swing - I wrote back wanting to know more about HP on motor, variable speed..... etc..............
The sander would be nice but again im not sure what he wants for these two other than he keeps saying to make him an offer.........
Not interested in the other things its more than what I would need or have room for

Anybody know anything about the value of these machines.................????? I guess I could go in low and see what he counters back at

Attachments

• seaworld171.jpg
    seaworld171.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 93
  • seaworld163.jpg
    seaworld163.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 85
  • seaworld174.jpg
    seaworld174.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 86
  • seaworld169.jpg
    seaworld169.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 81
  • seaworld173.jpg
    seaworld173.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 84
  • seaworld175.jpg
    seaworld175.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
dan look them up new and go 50% of that for high bid.. lower than that for a deal. if you were closer i would be interested in the combo sander.
the bowl lathe is a good one older model and even me who doesnt do spinny stuff would grab it because of the age and quality and turn it over to someone that did use one..

Larry thanks for the reply...................He sent a email to him last night and he responded this morning ...............

24 " swing, yes. - H.P. 1 1/2 h.p. maybe 20 hrs. on motor 220 volt. Variable speed, yes. this is accomplished mechanically by what's called a "Jack Shaft" & a "Sheave".
Also, the lathe has a "clutch". Price asking is $700.00. You can see from the pix, the size log blank I stated to turn.....For a large swing starter lathe THAT IS A DEAL.
I will supply a large spur center with it. "Bearing" dead center on tool stock with large wheel crank. Outboard floor tool rest for 7 ft. swing! "Exciting!", to say the least!
Also, tools some "custom" tool rests go with it........I have 2 "lance" scarpers, 2 scarper i"ll throw in on the deal. I"ll do set up & 2 hrs. instructions also.
The other items ill email you soon with details

Well, not sure what is meant by Jack shaft - sheave -clutch ....bearing dead center.............anybody got a idea ???????? ill post the rest as he emails it.......thinking ill counter back at 5...........thanks Dan

Last edited:
Is the dust cleaner included?

What other options?
The last pic, what kind of sander is that?

Dunno what the wood is worth, the old lathe has been modified to swing that big a bowl, how well was it done? Is it variable speed or do you have to change speed with a belt? The air cleaner, does he have spare filters? The belt and disk sander, what model, how many HP?

The dual bag dust collector is actually a fine dust redistributor, if you use that you will suffer, it would need a new canister filter fitted to it to work well, IMHO.

I dunno, $500?

yep thinking on counter at 500..............Delta sander........not much else known at the moment.......no other options just whats mentioned.......

I do not know much about some of it............primarily only intersted in the Lathe and Sander.................

The lathe looks like the bed has been shortened too. The lathe speed change would be done by changing the belt to another pulley.He has run a belt from the motor to a pulley on a shaft & run the shaft through some bearing mounts & a pulley on the other end of the shaft maybe a step pulley from there up to the step pulley on the lathe. This allowed him to slow the speed down by stepping it down twice once from the motor to the shaft & again from the shaft to the lathe itself.

You could always modify this with a VFD to make operation easier.

Last edited:
Thanks...........Im going to think about it for a few days before I make a offer on the lathe............the more I hear the less interesting it sounds to be truthful...........
However............ill post when I know more about the sander.....................thanks again