Straight Edge

I want to buy a 36" straight edge. What do most folks here use, an aluminum or steel straight edge?

Is 36" enough for most woodworking tools calibration.

Starret seems too expensive so I am leaning towards Veritas from Lee Valley.

Lee Valley 36" steel has met all my needs including the jointer. Plenty heavy with a wide edge so it stays put. Nothing worse than chasing a lightweight straight edge across a surface with your feeler gauges. I have their extra long feelers too. Earned their keep many times. I'm sure there are others that are just as good.

Last edited:
I have the same one that Glenn has. It is a rock. It weighs 5 pounds. You can set it someplace and work around it with a light and with feeler gauges without fear of it tipping. I just know, deep down in my heart, that if it were aluminum I would dink it someway and it is the wrong shape to use as a door stop.

I don't have to use it often. HOWEVER, it gives me real confidence in setting up machinery. I have purchased tools and later felt that it was a waste of money. That is NOT the case with the straight edge. If it were stolen, I would order another one just like it and I would do it right away.

Enjoy,

JimB

I like steel much better than aluminum. 36" x 2-13/32" x 7/32" Straight Edge with Beveled Edge and it is heavy. I treat it like a baby.

Starrett, the only way to go!

I've got two, a 24" steel one from Woodcraft, it is OK, but too thin, and mostly too short. I ponied up for the 50" aluminum one from Lee Valley, the shipping for the steel one would have hurt! :eek: I'm VERY pleased with it, it is a VERY well made tool easy to use as it is very wide and stable, while it does not have the heft of a steel one the same size, it is no lightweight, it will not be knocked around in common usage.
Cheers!

Mohammad,

Maybe you could STEAL one in Canada and get the extra 3.36 inches. That way you would have a strong, long, straight edge and it wouldn't cost anything.

That is one heck of a good straight edge. I don't remember the exact figure; however it is within a hand full of thousandths of an inch in the 36 inch length. I keep mine in the original soft plastic, corrosion resistant tube, within the shipping tube on dedicated hooks on the wall where nothing can harm it. I wonder why Myrna thinks I am anal? It is a precision piece of machinery and should be treated that way.

Let's face it; Glenn has his and my machinery running so true that they are a joy. The straight edge has a lot to do with that.

Enjoy,

JimB

Last edited: