A mate for the TV cabinet - Finished Pics!

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
I started working today on the mate to the TV cabinet that I built a few weeks back. This cabinet will sit on a different wall in the same room. It has gone through many changes since the original plan, but I hit on one that Jan likes so I'm going to run with it. I glued up the legs today. A sandwich of QSWO with a FSWO core, then thin QSWO veneer on the sides so the legs display QSWO face grain on all four sides. I learned early on that you don't mill the veneer down to less than 1/8" right away. :doh::rofl: It was much easier to resaw to 1/4", glue everything up, and then use a combination of the planer and drum sander to bring everything to size. Gotta brag here a little - I must be getting the hang of this woodworking stuff because this is the first set of legs I've done that are dead on square. :eek::thumb: Here's the plan drawing. I'll post some pictures of the legs soon. Stickly Style Storage Cab 2.jpg

Last edited:
Rennie taking a look at the past cabinet with equipment in it makes me stand in awe of your work. That unit came out really well and shows really well. This is my favorite finish and wood. To see the QSO and the ray and the color you got bang on for my taste. I hope someday i can make something like that. I have no doubt the table will be just as good. Looking forward to the build.

That's going to be a great addition. Love the family resemblance. Will the knobs match the media cabinet or be as in the drawing. Pulls are something I often put in diagrams for representation but, don't really design until last. I don't know if this is a personal idiosyncrasy, a latent design inspiration or just a fear to commit(?).:D

That's going to be a great addition. Love the family resemblance. Will the knobs match the media cabinet or be as in the drawing. Pulls are something I often put in diagrams for representation but, don't really design until last. I don't know if this is a personal idiosyncrasy, a latent design inspiration or just a fear to commit(?).:D
They will match the TV cab = Jan likes them round. Could not convince her otherwise.:rolleyes:

Productive day.

I was able to glue up and sand the top flat (I love my drum sander), mill and cut to size all the rails and stiles, and mortice all the legs (except for the through mortice that supports the shelf). If things go well tomorrow I'll get all the tenons cut, resaw the panels for the ends, and dry fit most of the cabinet.

DSC_0015 (750 x 681).jpgDSC_0017.jpgDSC_0018 (790 x 794).jpg

Through and Through

I tackled the through tenons for the shelf supports this evening. Still have to chamfer the ends of the tenons. Too busy tomorrow for any shop time so Monday I will cut the tenons for the shelves. I changed the design a little and will have two shelves about 1/4" apart. That little cut across the tenon end is something I did not even know was there until I started cropping the picture. Guess I'll have to figure out a way to disguise it.
IMG_0338 (800 x 462).jpgIMG_0337 (722 x 800).jpgIMG_0339 (800 x 617).jpgIMG_0340 (687 x 800).jpg

Looking good Rennie.Couple of questions.

Couldn't you just reverse that one rail so the cut on the tennon is facing towards the back?

I noticed the two panels were facing in opposite directions?

I see how you glued up the quarter sawn oak for the legs to make them look the same on all 4 sides. Wouldn't it be easier to use rift sawn oak to achieve the same result?

Looking good Rennie.Couple of questions.

Couldn't you just reverse that one rail so the cut on the tennon is facing towards the back?

I could, and might try, but my work is not to a point where they are all identical. Each one was fitted the the individual mortise because all my mortises are not exactly the same. It is not very deep, so I may be able to sand it out easily without changing the dimension too much.

I noticed the two panels were facing in opposite directions?
Yeah, I gotta look at that . One of the panels has some tear out that has to be kept inside and the other has some dark areas I would like to keep in also. What worries me more is the grain on the lower rail closest to you in the picture. I cut the arc on the wrong side and it does not follow the grain.

I see how you glued up the quarter sawn oak for the legs to make them look the same on all 4 sides. Wouldn't it be easier to use rift sawn oak to achieve the same result?
I guess, but that's not what I had on hand. From what I've read this is one of the two more commonly used methods, the other being to fashion a hollow leg using a lock miter router bit. Since I dont trust my mitering capability all that much, this seemed the more prudent course.

Up early and out to the shop. Got the tenons cut for the two shelves and cut the top to size.

Next up, lots of sanding, drawer boxes & faces, drawer runners.
IMG_0341 (780 x 583).jpgIMG_0342 (603 x 785).jpgIMG_0344 (790 x 725).jpg

Turns out what looked like a cut in the end of the shelf rail tenon was actually a very small misalignment of the two halves I glued together. A very light sanding took care of it and the little that remains on the edge will be taken off by the chamfer.
IMG_0343 (537 x 790).jpg