I'm a little shy but excited...

Joan Keeler

Hi everyone! :wave: My buddy Grizzz has introduced me to your site and to the world of woodworking, specially turning. Grizz has built some awesome things with all of his hand and power tools and has convinced me that I can create some beautiful things with turning. I'm just starting out but can't wait to jump in with both feet. I went to a Rockler Woodworking store near me and took a class on pen turning. I'm hooked! So much so that when the Rockler store here in South Portland, Maine hosted a demonstration on Robert Sorby tools I went and ended up buying a few chisels to get started with. The manager, Molly was extremely helpful and also encouraging, so here I am. I've been visiting your site for a little while enjoying reading and seeing what others have created. Some day soon when I get a digital camera I'll take a pic of my first and only pen. I'm glad to be a part of this site. :D

Joan,

With enthusiam like that you will be a success for sure. Anyone with a great attitude like you have is welcome here for sure. A digital camera is a necessity around here------not really but I am just trying to push you along so that I can see some of your work.

Allen

Thanks everyone for the welcome! and Ned if I don't see Grizz, I'll be talking to him and I'll pass along the hi's. He's kept me posted about your sawdust play dates, sounds like to two have a good time. Keep making the sawdust!

Hi Joan:wave: Welcome to the site! Sounds like you have the initiative and enthusiasm to do well! Just remember that we all were beginners at one time, some have just progressed further than others (I'm one of the others!)!

Howdy Joan! :wave:
Learn that pen turning real good. If I ever get this shop finished like I want it, pen turning is something I want to try. You can teach me! :thumb:
I have the Jet Mini waiting to do just that.

DT

hi stranger :D

seee i knew you would come around eventually:p

glad to have you here :wave:

now we just have to get your camera, and your lathe, and some wood, and a place to work, and some more videos,and some private classes, and a scroll chuck , and some CA glues , and some specialty tools , and a captive ring tool , and some sanding disks , and a steady rest , and more chucks , and more tail centers , and ok, so the list goes on forever :doh: are you sure about this :eek: :D :thumb:

oops i almost forgot about all the diffrent woods and other materials to turn with and the .....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................:rofl:

Hi Joan, glad you could make it!

Pens are fun, quick and you get that instand gratification, for sure a great way to start!

Grizz for got the Chainsaw in his list of stuff you HAVE to have......... I have 3 :D :rofl:

Cheers!

Whew!!! Thanks everyone

Wow...thanks for all the warm welcomes and encouragements. Stuart I'm not so sure about the chain saw. Don't scare me off...:rofl: and you, Gizzz, my buddy....you're very funny...remember I'm taking baby steps....all those purchases at once might give me a heart attack...$$$$...LOL I think I've started off OK. With my two sets of chisels, some videos, a sander and all the excitement I can handle. I have on hold my Jet lathe, just waiting for me to get a place to set it up. Don, maybe you'll have your place ready for turning around the same time as me and we can compare notes. Grizzz, I'm so glad you introduced me to this site. Thanks :)

Don, maybe you'll have your place ready for turning around the same time as me and we can compare notes.

Okey Doke girl. I'll do some research on what I need to get started. :thumb:
Maybe by the time I'm set up you will be able to steer me away from some boo boo's. :rolleyes:

DT

Hi Ken, it looks like you are an experienced turner. What type of lathe are you using? Is that a bowl that you're starting? I could ask you a million questions but I'll keep it to just these for now.
Joan