Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for pen turners

Question for pen turners

Has anyone used solid surface for pens? I'm new to this idea but have been in the solid surface countertops for years. I have scrap pieces of a solid surface material that is 3cm or 1.125 thick. Wouldn't think you would need to glue this up but may infact need to trim it down. If anyone has used it how were the results? Have any idea if it is any good? I know it will ploish up well as I have to do that for signs and what not. I may have some to try and even share but it's not much and is basic colors. Let me know your opinions on this stuff. I have the 1/2 material as well in scraps but am not planing on making something with that just yet.
    Last edited by ed sautter; 12-16-2011 at 10:37 PM.

Ed, I and many others have used Corian countertop material for pens and other small projects. It turns very nice and leaves a very smooth finish.
    It's not what you achieve in life...It's what you overcome!

Brooklin ON -- 45 mins. NE of Toronto, ON
    Quote Originally Posted by ed sautter View Post
    Has anyone used solid surface for pens? I'm new to this idea but have been in the solid surface countertops for years. I have scrap pieces of a solid surface material that is 3cm or 1.125 thick. Wouldn't think you would need to glue this up but may infact need to trim it down. If anyone has used it how were the results? Have any idea if it is any good? I know it will ploish up well as I have to do that for signs and what not. I may have some to try and even share but it's not much and is basic colors. Let me know your opinions on this stuff. I have the 1/2 material as well in scraps but am not planing on making something with that just yet.
    Hi Ed; I'm somewhat confused by your statement 3 cm or 1.125 thick. 3 cm is approx. .762 in. in thickness. I had some 1/2" Corian that I was able to glue up and turn into pens and razors as well.

I would just like to add if anyone happens to be listening, whoever designed the new picture posting method must have been tripping on something! What was wrong with the way we used to do it. I was always under the impression, If it's not broken, it doesn't need fixing! Attachment 63535
    Last edited by Mack Cameron; 12-16-2011 at 11:50 PM.
    Mack C. in Brooklin ON
    It feels great to sell a pen,
    It feels even greater to give one to a friend!

If your presence doesn't make an impact;
    Your absence won't make a difference!

I am a proud supporter of
    "Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers"!

Corian is very popular with many pen turners. I'm not one of them. I gave away a box full to someone on one of my fourms. Not saying I don't do the occasional non-wood pen (mebbe one a year) but my preference is wood.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Mack Cameron View Post
    Hi Ed; I'm somewhat confused by your statement 3 cm or 1.125 thick. 3 cm is approx. .762 in. in thickness. I had some 1/2" Corian that I was able to glue up and turn into pens and razors as well.

I would just like to add if anyone happens to be listening, whoever designed the new picture posting method must have been tripping on something! What was wrong with the way we used to do it. I was always under the impression, If it's not broken, it doesn't need fixing! Attachment 63535

Mack, now I am confused I thought 1 inch was approx. 2.54 cm if that is the case 3 cm/2.54= 1.181102 inches, or am I missing something ?
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    Mack, now I am confused I thought 1 inch was approx. 2.54 cm if that is the case 3 cm/2.54= 1.181102 inches, or am I missing something ?
    A slight miscalculation on my part!
    Mack C. in Brooklin ON

Quote Originally Posted by Mack Cameron View Post
    I would just like to add if anyone happens to be listening, whoever designed the new picture posting method must have been tripping on something! What was wrong with the way we used to do it. I was always under the impression, If it's not broken, it doesn't need fixing! ]
    Amen Brother, Amen!
    Jesus was a Woodworker

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    That'S ok Mack, is we yanks had done what we were supposed to do back in the 70's we wouldn't be having this discussion, BTW IIRC 1 inch is 2 barley corns...

now how big is a cubit ???
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

[QUOTE=Don Baer;316727]That'S ok Mack, is we yanks had done what we were supposed to do back in the 70's we wouldn't be having this discussion, BTW IIRC 1 inch is 2 barley corns...

now how big is a cubit ???
    Wiki is your friend!
    Mack C. in Brooklin ON

Corian is easy and fun to turn.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: That’s when you return from work one day
    and say, “Hi, Honey, I’m home – forever.”

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.