Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Centrifugal Motor Switch Noise Fix

Centrifugal Motor Switch Noise Fix

I promised myself that if I ever did this again, I would take pics and share. I had a noise on my bandsaw that I traced to the motor centrifugal switch; easy fix. My cyclone started making a similar noise and based on my previous experience a few years ago, I went right to the switch. The noise is harmless; it is caused by the reverse-giggle-bearing rubbing on the doo-funny. In technical terms that means the plastic ring that pushes the spring-steel loop that opens the switch rubs enough to start an oscillation that creates a sound somewhere between a scrape and a squeal.Unplug your tool and remove the motor fan cap (three screws on mine)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G0440-cent-clutch 1.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	63629I mark the fan position with a felt pen and loosen the retaining screw. Remove the fan.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G0440-cent-clutch 2.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	63630Remove the clutch cover (two screws on mine)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G0440-cent-clutch 3.jpg 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	63631I mark the height and screw position before I remove the centrifugal assembly.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G0440-cent-clutch 4.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	63632Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G0440-cent-clutch 5.jpg 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	63633Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G0440-cent-clutch 6.jpg 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	63634Put some fine sandpaper on something flat and buff the flat surface of the pressure ring. Here I use 600 grit on my workbench top.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G0440-cent-clutch 7.jpg 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	63635Rub some graphite into the flat face of the ring and re-assemble.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G0440-cent-clutch 8.jpg 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	63636My bandsaw hasn't made a peep since I did this. Time will tell for the cyclone.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 12-20-2011 at 03:52 PM.
    Be excellent to each other. - Rufus

Endevour to persevere.
    -Lone Watie, quoting the Secretary of the Interior

Thanks Glenn.
    Dan Gonzales
    Whittier, CA, USA
    Dona nobis pacem

I was wondering what was causing that noise. Thanks Glenn
    So Mote It Be

Thanks Glenn i never even thought about that. Of course to finish this thread off you left out one small detail and that was the audio file to be able to hear the sound. I am none the wiser as to the sound i should be looking for if i had the problem but i guess when it happens i will know.
    Rob .....Alias John Wayne now Pasquinell da trapper.

"forget the apples slap some bacon on a biscuit and lets go...

We're burning daylight"

thanks glenn ,,well portrayed and great yet simple fix...
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Thanks Glenn i never even thought about that. Of course to finish this thread off you left out one small detail and that was the audio file to be able to hear the sound. I am none the wiser as to the sound i should be looking for if i had the problem but i guess when it happens i will know.
    On mine it occurs during the last minute or so of rotation following shutdown. As the rpm's reach a slow enough speed, there is a click which is the clutch changing position and opening the switch. Once mine then slowed down to the right speed to induce the oscillation it goes:

--- (use you best little-girl falsetto voice and say) ---

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

On the bandsaw it was more of a scraping sound like someone sharpening a knife on a stone: swish-swish, swish-swish, swish-swish, swish-swish, swish-swish, swish-swish, swish-swish, swish-swish, swish-swish, swish-swish, swish-swish, swish-swish, swish-swish, swish-swish, swish-swish.

You'll know it if you hear it. It just sounds "wrong". The upside is that if it should occur it is a super-easy fix. ;-)
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 12-20-2011 at 12:57 PM.

Endevour to persevere.

Clutch, or switch?
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

When I got my first lather I learned rather quickly that a TEFC (totally enclosed fan cooled) motor really is not totaly enclosed. In six years of use I once, only once, had to take the cover off, clean the sawdust out, spray liberally with WD-40 and resume using.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    Clutch, or switch?
    it's the switch Brent
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    it's the switch Brent
    Quite right, thanks Don. I realize I started to talk about the two assemblies interchangeably even though they are two separate mechanisms . . . doh!
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 12-20-2011 at 03:51 PM.

Endevour to persevere.