Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I buy a jointer/planer or separate tools?

Should I buy a jointer/planer or separate tools?

So, last night my 15 year old Ryobi lunch box planer died. Something inside the drive unit broke and is making a horrible noise. I have been contemplating replacing it anyway. I also have been thinking about a new jointer. I have seen mention of a few people owning combo units and wondered what the experience has been and which one is recomended. I normally prefer individual tools but I may consider this combo for space saving purposes. Any thoughts?

Jerry

Depending on the unit they can work out very well. Bigger in Europe than in the states.

you need to look at the cost factor,, your ryobi lunch box isnt near the cost the combo machine will run.. so look at the numbers and decide from there first.. then come back and ask for particulars..on the combo units you do need to flip things around to get at one or the other operations
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

If you get a combo machine, get a good one, otherwise get separates.
    Got Wood?

When I built and ourfitted my shop after retiring 8 years ago, I purchased seperate machines (a Delta 8 inch jointer and a Delta 15 inch planer). They have worked well for me, but my workshed is crowded and I would like to sell them and purchase a combo machine.

The combo machine that I really like is the Hammer A3 31: http://bing.search.sympatico.ca/?q=h...&setLang=en-CA
    A freind and neighbour has this machine and I have given it a good test. If I can sell my stand-alone machines for a decent price, I will definately buy the Hammer combo.
    Last edited by Frank Pellow; 12-20-2011 at 01:31 PM.
    Cheers, Frank

I didn't know combo machines existed. My first thought was: if you change adjustments on one does it affect settings on the other? If it does, I wouldn't like that.
    BTW, if I were shopping again for a new planer, I would want one with an accurate and resettable thickness gauge.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Most of the combo machines are pro grade, rather than hobby grade. They are thus more expensive, but now that I have gone that way, I would have a hard time turning back.

I find the change-over time between jointer and planer is modest - maybe 30 seconds or so. Having a 16 inch jointer and 16 inch planer is wonderful. Now I wish for 20 inches, especially on the planer. This allows me to glue up then do the final jointing and planing.

My unit has self-adjusting Tersa knives, so I can change knives in a couple minuites if I want a different type of knife for different work. For example, I normally use carbide knives (the first side of double sided blades lasted over 3 years), but HSS is sharper than carbide, so if I have highly figured wood, I can switch to HSS for the final pass.

Once the knives are in place (they align with the head), the jointer is adjusted to the knives. I have never had to adjust the planer, which uses the same cutters and motor.
    Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
    (Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
    Lots of my free advice at www.solowoodworker.com

I purchased the Jet JJP-12 unit. 12" planer and jointer combo (spiral head). After Jet replaced the first motor that was overheating, it has worked great. Does not take long to switch over from one to the other. Does a good job for me, but I had nothing before to compare with. I have enough room for separate units, but was able to get the combo capacity for less than buying separate units. I also looked at the Griz model, and was tough to choose between. I like the Euro style guard, and the fact that the fence does not have to be removed when switching to planer.

Thanks for your input. I think I need to stay with separate units. I can't afford to step up to a 12,16, or 20 inch unit and don't want to be limited to only 10" of planing width so I guess it's another benchtop planer and an 8" jointer!
    Jerry

What kind you you have Charlie???????????
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.